Back to Inova Cancer Institute
CyberKnife® is cutting edge treatment without cutting.
CyberKnife® is an exceptionally precise, non-invasive form of radiation therapy for cancer available at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Inova Fairfax Hospital is the Washington, DC area's number-one ranked hospital and homebase to some of the region's finest cancer and radiation therapy doctors.
CyberKnife is a non-surgical treatment alternative for many different kinds of cancer. Patients with cancer of the brain, spine, lung, prostate, liver, pancreas, head, kidney, neck and pelvis may be excellent candidates for CyberKnife radiosurgery.
The pain-free treatments are delivered on an outpatient basis with virtually no disruption to normal activities and in many fewer sessions than conventional radiation therapy.
CyberKnife for liver cancer
CyberKnife for pancreatic cancer
CyberKnife for brain & spine cancer
How does it work?
- The CyberKnife system produces incredibly precise beams of radiation therapy delivered through a robotic arm
- The flexible robotic arm is easily positioned to treat tumors anywhere in the body with pinpoint accuracy
- CyberKnife's sophisticated technology and tracking systems accounts for a patient's most subtle movements during treatment sessions, eliminating the need for stabilizing frames and allowing for normal breathing during the treatments
- CyberKnife treatments are completed in one to five days, compared to weeks of traditional radiation therapy
Benefits of CyberKnife treatment
- Pain free
- No anesthesia required
- Exceptional accuracy that spares healthy tissue and organs
- No invasive body frame or holding your breath
- Offers an excellent non-surgical option for patients with inoperable or surgically complex tumors, or who are looking for an alternative to surgery
Is CyberKnife right for you?
Your medical team will determine if CyberKnife is right for you, and will customize a treatment plan just for you. The type, size and location of the tumor will be considered, as well as whether the cancer is localized or has spread.