For Medical Professionals: Borderline Personality Disorder: A Unique & Thought Provoking Perspective
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Add to Calendar
7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Waterford at Fair Oaks
12025 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway
Fairfax, VA 22033
Map & Directions
Borderline Personality Disorder: A Unique and Thought Provoking Perspective
Please join us for the full-day workshop. Register early. Space is limited!
About presenter and workshop
Talya Lewis is a dynamic presenter who has captivated audiences with her presentations on borderline personality disorder (BPD), self-injury and trauma. She shares her knowledge with different groups, ranging from students to psychiatrists and has been a guest on Dan Gottlieb’s Voices in the Family
as well as Maiken Scott’s Morning Edition
, on Philadelphia’s NPR affiliate station. Through her passionate and energetic delivery and her abilities at working with those who have experienced enduring childhood trauma, as well as her own personal experience with BPD, she is able to reach her audience, providing new perspectives and new attitudes towards a difficult population. Talya Lewis is a fellow (2013/2014) at the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia.
The borderline personality diagnosis scares and frustrates some of the best mental health professionals. Imagine living with it. Talya Lewis presents a detailed clinical and personal presentation of borderline personality disorder from the unique vantage point of an individual diagnosed with the disorder. Come and gain a fresh perspective. Learn how to establish boundaries to effectively and compassionately treat your clients struggling with this diagnosis.
Download workshop agenda
The participant will:
- Be able to describe the role of nature and nurture in the development of borderline personality disorder (BPD)
- Be able to describe emotional dysregulation and the role it plays in BPD
- Develop greater compassion for patients with borderline personality disorder as the myth of manipulation is demystified
- Develop techniques to respond effectively to self-injurious behaviors and abandonment fears
- Acquire increased coping strategies to decrease the likelihood of burnout and increase connection with the individuals with BPD
$125 per workshop (Free for employees*
*Please select the following discount code when registering: INOVAEMP and enter employee ID number. Please be prepared to show employee ID the day of the workshop.
Waterford at Fair Oaks
, 12025 Lee Jackson
Memorial Highway, Fairfax, VA 22033
* Free parking on-site.
Registration 7:30 – 8 a.m.
Workshop 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
(Includes continental breakfast and healthy afternoon snack. Lunch on your own.)
Applied for 6.0 Contact Hours from the National Association of Social Workers (NASW); National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC); Employee Assistance Professional Association (EACC); The Association for Addiction Professionals (NADAAC); Virginia Nurses Association (VNA)
- 6.0 Contact Hours will be awarded to participants who complete the sign in form, attend all of the presentation and hand in a completed evaluation form. No partial contact hours will be awarded.
- No conflicts of interest have been disclosed by the planners and presenters of this activity.
- Planners and presenters have no relevant financial relationships with any commercial companies pertaining to this workshop.
- There is no commercial support or sponsorship for this activity
- The ILN, VNA, and the ANCC do not endorse any product, service or company referred to in this activity.
Continuing Education Approval from NASW Virginia Chapter is pending. Inova Behavioral Health is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
|Inova Behavioral Health Services fosters
personal and professional development and quality networking
opportunities in behavioral health and addictions treatment. We are
pleased to host some of the brightest and most influential minds in
these fields as they provide education workshops surrounding a variety
of cutting-edge topics.