Frequently Asked Questions
What are Haiku and Canto?
Haiku is EpicCare’s mobile application for the iPhone® or Droid®. Canto is the mobile app for the iPad®. These apps give you secure and portable access to the entire EpicCare EMR and keep you connected to your patients and fellow physicians 24/7. You can use Haiku and Canto any time you are away from a computer – whether you are in the hallways of your practice, rounding at the hospital or on call.
What can I do with Haiku and Canto?
Haiku and Canto provide easy access to chart review, patient lists, schedules, search, messaging, and clinical image capture. Here are some specific things you can do:
- Find your patients. Access patient lists and your patient schedule or search the database for patients not on your list or schedule.
- Review patient information. See a snapshot of medications, allergies or the problem list. Stay up to date on patient status and immediately identify those with new results or notes. See outpatient or inpatient encounters, including admission information, notes, vitals and active orders.
- Review previous encounters including progress notes.
- Review patient results. Find lab and imaging.
- Manage InBasket. Read and reply to Staff and Results messages, or send follow-up reminders.
- Contact care team members. Follow up with a prescribing physician or discuss patient results.
How much do Haiku and Canto cost?
Haiku and Canto are free apps.
Where can I use Haiku and Canto?
You can use Haiku and Canto anywhere – at your office, in the hospital, at home, even in the supermarket!
Why is it important that I have these apps?
Haiku and Canto keep EpicCare at your fingertips wherever you are. They keep you connected with your patients, your practice and your fellow physicians 24/7.
Will I need training to learn to use Haiku or Canto?
Just like other mobile applications, Haiku and Canto are designed to be intuitive so training should be minimal. We will provide you with the Physician Quick Start Guide, which includes everything you need to know about using this convenient app. Many physicians report that they are able to quickly learn and use Haiku and Canto with just the Quick Start Guide for reference.
How secure are Haiku and Canto?
Haiku and Canto are designed to be completely secure and confidential. All data transmitted to and from the server are encrypted using SSL.
Do I need a fob to sign in to these apps?
No. Because 2-factor authentication is embedded in the apps, you will not need to use a fob to access Haiku or Canto.
Once I download the app on one device, can I sign in to the apps from a different device?
No. Haiku and Canto are assigned to specific devices; therefore you cannot access the apps from someone else’s device.
How do I access Haiku and Canto?
You can download the free Haiku or Canto apps from your device app store. To activate the apps, you must first be approved and set up in Inova’s EpicCare system. To do that, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, credentials, contact info and your device ID*. (*For iPhone/iPad, you will need to download an app called UDID to get your device ID).
Your user name and password for Haiku and Canto will be the same as your EpicCare login.
Can I do billing with these apps?
No. Haiku and Canto do not have a billing function.
How can I get more information?
For more information, email email@example.com.