Volunteering at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital
Inova Fair Oaks Hospital volunteers are often the first hospital representatives with whom a family member speaks. Whether giving directions, answering the phone or offering support to patients and staff, volunteers help us provide the highest quality, compassionate care to the diverse communities we serve. Our volunteers are also vital to the operation of the Inova Fair Oaks Hospital Thrift Shop, which sells lightly used clothing and household items.
For more than 30 years, our volunteers have demonstrated a tradition of quality, service and commitment. More than 400 dedicated volunteers support the day-to-day operations of Inova Fair Oaks Hospital, contributing nearly 50,000 hours of service annually.
Volunteers are vital to Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. Volunteer activities include:
- Support operations of Registration, Surgical Services, Emergency Department and Patient Units
- Welcome patients having outpatient surgery; facilitate their registration and discharge, keeping their friends and family informed
- Collaborate with staff in support of the Joints in Motion program for joint replacement patient education
- Serve customers at our Gift Shop and Thrift Shop
- Provide patient service by greeting and escorting patients to their destinations
- Deliver flowers and cards
- Assist patients on discharge from their patient unit to the lobby
- Provide support to Human Resources, Physician Services, Bariatrics, Pathology and the Diabetes Education Center
- Be an ambassador of the GetWellNetwork®, our interactive patient education and communication system
- Participate in special social events and fundraising activities
Current openings and applications
Our volunteer hotline at 703-391-3659 has general information to assist you. Currently we are accepting applications for adult and teen volunteers (16 years and older) to share their energy and commitment in our special Thrift Shop. The Inova Fair Oaks Hospital Thrift Shop is located at 9683 Fairfax Boulevard in Fairfax.
Our adult and student volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 6 months or 60 hours of service. There is no “summer only” program.
We sincerely thank you for your interest in Inova Fair Oaks Hospital Volunteer Services.
Volunteers enjoy reduced rates for all Inova HealthSource classes (including health and wellness, smoking cessation, exercise, diet and parenting classes), cafeteria discounts and participation in special hospital-wide events.
Learn more about Inova Fair Oaks Hospital Auxiliary, which oversees the activities of our hospital volunteers.