A letter from Inova Mount Vernon Hospital Administrator, Susan M. Herbert on the 25th Anniversary of Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. April, 2001.
Between 1976 and 2001, the volunteers donated 1,732,125 hours of service to the hospital. During the same time period, they donated $2,370,000 to the hospital. The auxilians have been the sole driving force behind many of the events that the community enjoys such as: Lights of Love, Fall Bazaar, semi-annual bake sales, pecan sales, scholarship programs and high school student bonds.
The very first fundraiser sponsored by the volunteers was in 1977 with the Azalea Ball. Currently, the volunteers sponsor up to eight fundraising events a year. None of this history or hard work could have been attainable without the constant devotion and dedication of the volunteers, both past and present. Please join me in recognizing some of that commitment.
- We have 22 active or sustaining members who have been volunteering for 25 years and 11 volunteers who have been with us 20 to 24 years.
- Eight volunteers have been with the hospital between 15 to 20 years.
- Fourteen volunteers have been with us between 10 to 15 years.
- Fifteen volunteers have been with us between five to 10 years.
- Four hundred nine members joined the volunteer program within the last five years.
Currently, there are 479 members of the Auxiliary, with 385 of those members active. During 2000, the volunteers donated 63,480 hours to our hospital. To date in 2001, they have volunteered 17,604 hours. As the facts show, our volunteers continue to add to the success of this hospital.
Every hospital develops a soul, and within that soul there is a spirit, and within the spirit is a heart. We know that in our hospital the volunteers are our heart as well as our "Shining Stars." It is with pride we recognize and thank our volunteers for their commitment, dedication and continued support.