Partial Hospitalization Program
The Partial Hospitalization Program provides an intense, structured treatment setting for individuals who have difficulty maintaining current daily routines or who would otherwise require inpatient psychiatric care.
Who is eligible for Inova's Partial Hospitalization Program?
Inova's Partial Hospitalization Program has evidence-based treatment and skill enhancement to improve a person's ability to function in daily life. Our clinicians perform a thorough assessment to determine if partial hospitalization is an appropriate level of care. A good candidate for the program has:
- An acute psychiatric disorder but is not at imminent risk for suicide or harm to others
- Capacity to fully participate
- Reasonable expectation of improvement
- Good support system at home or in the community outside the program
- Transportation to and from the program each day
Developing a treatment plan
After a patient's initial assessment, our staff develop an individualized treatment plan, which may include:
- Acute crisis and symptom stabilization
- Medication consultation and education
- Differential diagnosis
- Group therapy
- Aftercare and discharge planning
- Psychological testing
A day in the program
The Partial Hospitalization Program runs five days per week, six hours each day, plus a one-hour lunch break. Each day:
- Begins with a community meeting group to review the daily schedule
- Welcomes any new individuals
- Reviews progress on treatment goals
- Addresses any concerns or challenges
During treatment, patients generally attend six groups a day and receive other individualized care provided by licensed therapists and a psychiatrist in accordance with the patient's treatment plan.