Meal Plan Recommendations
One of the ways you can help to manage your diabetes is by making good food choices. Inova certified diabetes educators can work with you to create a detailed, individualized meal plan. But here are some general guidelines that apply to all people with diabetes.
- Eat less high-sugar foods, including candy and other sweets
- Limit fruit juice, regular soda, regular lemonade and sweet tea
- Choose more whole food items, including whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and fewer processed foods
- Control carbohydrates at each sitting. Carbohydrate needs vary from person to person. An Inova diabetes educator can help you with an individualized plan.
- Choose lean meats, poultry and fish
- Limit fried foods
- Start walking if you do not have physical activity restrictions
Inova Diabetes Center's cooking series will help
you create meals with diabetes health in mind. Watch Kim Gauthier, dietician, as she provides tips at the grocery store, cooks breakfast, lunch and dinner!