Psychological Services at Inova Kellar Center provides comprehensive testing and evaluations for children and adolescents who are suspected of having neurodevelopmental, learning and emotional/behavioral disorders.
Types of assessments
Inova Kellar Center provides evaluations for the following suspected disorders and difficulties:
Children and adolescents who have difficulties in any of the above areas may also have difficulties with:
- Expressing positive feelings about him/herself
- Performing well in school
- Making and keeping friends
- Getting along with family members
- Controlling anger and frustration
- Controlling anxiety and worries
What the testing and evaluation process includes
Inova Kellar Center's comprehensive testing and evaluation process typically involves the following:
- Testing intake session. This one- to two-hour meeting with a psychologist will focus on gathering information from your child alone and from you and your child together. Information gathered about your specific concerns will assist the psychologist in determining the appropriate tests to administer.
- Testing sessions. One or more testing sessions will be scheduled for a morning timeslot. A morning session allows us to capture your child's optimal performance. We make every effort to schedule testing sessions within two to three weeks of the initial intake appointment.
- Consultation with teachers and other professionals (if appropriate). As part of the evaluation, we will contact other professionals working with your child such as teachers, tutors, mental health professionals or physicians, if they have relevant information to share.
- Review of previous records (academic, mental health, etc.). We will ask that you provide us with any records that are relevant to obtaining a comprehensive view of your child.
- Testing review session. About two to three weeks after completion of testing sessions, we will conduct a review session. A psychologist will explain the test results and diagnostic findings.
- Detailed written report. You will receive a written report at the review session, including a comprehensive review of relevant background information, an explanation of testing results, and conclusions about the findings. We will provide detailed recommendations so that you have a practical plan for creating effective changes for your child. If appropriate, we will provide referrals to professionals or services (including therapy and medication) that your child may require.
For more information about testing and evaluations, or to schedule an intake session, call us at 703-218-8500.