Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Do you avoid activities because of shortness of breath and fatigue? Have you had a lung transplant or lung volume reduction surgery?
Pulmonary rehabilitation can empower you to be more active, social and independent through exercise and education in a nurturing, safe environment. Inova's program is specifically designed for the person with a chronic lung diagnosis and draws individuals from throughout Northern Virginia and the Washington, DC, metro area.
The Inova Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is a nationally certified, nine-week program that meets three times each week at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Individual treatment plans are tailored by respiratory therapists to meet your personal goals.
About pulmonary rehabilitation
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a comprehensive, individualized program that includes:
- Assessment by a pulmonary rehabilitation respiratory therapist
- Nutritional counseling as indicated
- Supervised exercise of approximately 30 hours
- Education/training and follow-up of approximately 15 hours
- Psychosocial intervention with coping and relaxation techniques
- Long-term adherence to enhance compliance with individualized treatment program
Who benefits from rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a standard medical treatment program for patients with chronic respiratory diseases such as:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Lung cancer
- Before and after lung transplantation
- Lung volume reduction surgery
The goal of pulmonary rehabilitation is to improve the quality of your life through:
- Building strength and endurance to enhance ability to perform activities of daily living
- Experiencing less shortness of breath and respiratory symptoms
- Increasing exercise performance
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Increasing knowledge about living with a pulmonary disease and its management
- Fewer hospitalizations and reduced use of medical resources
- Eligibility for admission to our unique PR Disease Management Program (more information below)
Referral and insurance information
A physician referral is required to be admitted to this program. Medicare and most private insurance companies cover pulmonary rehabilitation as a medical benefit. For additional information, please call the pulmonary rehabilitation referral line at 703-776-3392.
Disease Management Program
Our unique Pulmonary Rehabilitation Disease Management Program is open to anyone who has graduated from any pulmonary rehab program. Please contact us at 703-776-3671 to see if you are eligible to join this program.
You have graduated from a comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation program. Now what? Long-term adherence is vital to continuing your individualized treatment program, lifestyle modifications and exercise regimen. Our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Disease Management Program is offered at Mount Vernon Athletic Club and staffed by Inova Fairfax Hospital pulmonary rehabilitation respiratory therapists. Maintenance therapy is not a covered benefit by insurance companies; there is a nominal fee.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Inova Fairfax Hospital is involved in the following clinical trial: "The NIH Exercise Therapy for Advanced Lung Disease Trials: Response and Adaptation to Aerobic Exercise in Patients with Pulmonary Hypertension." Learn more about clinical trials