Ankle Replacement at Inova Fairfax Hospital
The Ankle Replacement Program at Inova Fairfax Hospital offers state-of-the-art surgical options and renewed hope for your patients who suffer from chronic ankle pain due to arthritis or fracture.
Joint replacement patients at Inova Fairfax Hospital are given exclusive access to the Washington region’s only comprehensive ankle replacement program. Our physicians use cutting-edge surgical and non-surgical methods, including the latest minimally invasive surgery techniques that allow for quicker recovery.
Watch our videos
Arthritis and pain relief
Each year more than two million Americans visit their doctor because of ankle pain. Many cases worsen to the point of end-stage ankle arthritis, creating a higher degree of pain and a smaller range of mobility. When this stage is reached and non-operative alternatives (such as medication, injections, and bracing) are no longer options, total ankle replacement may provide relief.
What is ankle replacement surgery?
Total ankle replacement surgery – also called ankle arthroplasty – involves replacing the damaged joint with an artificial joint. The procedure greatly improves function for people who cannot perform everyday activities without experiencing severe pain. During the procedure, the arthritic bone is removed and the implant components are inserted to form a completely new joint that will provide a smooth, pain-free motion.
Ideal candidates for ankle replacement surgery are:
- Age 50 and older
- In good general health
- In severe ankle pain from arthritis or cartilage injury
After ankle replacement surgery:
- Patients typically go home the next day
- Gentle range-of-motion exercises will begin one week post surgery
- Patients will be able to move with the assistance of either a walker or crutches
- Light weight can be put on the affected ankle after two to three weeks; full body weight at six weeks
- Total recovery time is usually within two to three months
- Patients may return to work as soon as they are authorized by their surgeon
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Arthritis caused by ankle surgery in the past
- Bone fracture
Meet our ankle replacement physicians
Steven Neufeld, MD
Matthew Buchanan, MD
Daniel Cuttica, DO
For more information about the Ankle Replacement Program at Inova Fairfax Hospital, call our orthopedic nurse navigator at 703-776-2289.