Types of Services
The latest techniques in joint replacement
Inova hip and knee replacement surgeons utilize the most current surgical techniques, including minimally invasive procedures and the popular new MAKOplasty® partial knee resurfacing. Our doctors also use the latest high-tech materials to improve the lifespan of the implant and maximize movement.
Our surgeons are experts in total and partial knee and hip replacements and other reconstructive procedures. They have decades of experience and perform hundreds of joint replacements every year.
Inova's orthopedic surgeons are experts at hip replacement surgery. We offer anterior hip replacement, performed from the front of the hip rather than the back to preserve muscle and improve recovery. We also perform minimally invasive hip replacement surgery, which reduces the amount of trauma to the hip's surround tissues, nerves and ligaments.
Our surgeons offer several types of knee replacement surgery, depending on your specific needs and the condition of your knee joint:
- Gender knee replacement is knee replacement surgery geared to a woman's physiology, accommodating a more narrow implant than a man would need
- Personalized knee replacement utilizes the detailed imaging of a pre-operative MRI scan to plan a surgical course of action
- Partial knee replacement treats only the diseased portions of the knee joint and retains the healthy ligaments and tissues
- MAKOplasty® is a new knee surfacing treatment option for individuals who are dealing with osteoarthritis but who may not require a total knee replacement
Inova’s team of experienced orthopedic surgeons performs the most shoulder replacements in Northern Virginia using advanced techniques. Our surgeons must meet strict participation criteria based on volume and quality indicators.
Inova Fairfax Hospital is home to the DC region's only comprehensive ankle replacement program, offering state-of-the-art surgical options and renewed hope for your patients who suffer from chronic ankle pain due to arthritis or fracture.
Our ankle replacement program uses cutting-edge surgical and non-surgical methods, including the latest minimally invasive surgery techniques that allow for quicker recovery.
What causes a joint to need replacement?
A hip or knee may need to be replaced for a number of medical reasons:
- Arthritis in its different forms (arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis) can break down the integrity of the joint, causing pain, stiffness and inflammation
- Bone disease such as osteonecrosis can result in loss of blood supply to the bone
- Trauma caused by a fracture or dislocations
- Failed or infected replacements from prior procedures, which may require revision surgery
Do you have questions about osteoarthritis and how it is diagnosed and treated? Read more about this common joint disease
Illustrated articles from our Health Library
The Connection of Strong Social Support with Joint Replacement Outcomes (PDF)