Back to all pediatric services
The pediatric surgery program at Inova Children's Hospital is a regional leader in expertise, innovation and quality outcomes. At Inova Children's Hospital you will find:
- Our new, state-of-the-art pediatric surgery center offers inpatient and outpatient surgical services for children, adolescents and their families
- Inova Children's Hospital performs more than 4,000 pediatric surgeries and more than 800 sedation/infusion procedures each year
- The da Vinci® robotic surgical system and the latest minimally invasive procedures are available
- Our experienced anesthesiologists and specialized nurses are at the forefront of pediatric medicine
- Our nursing care is ranked nationally in the top 10 percent by our physicians
- Case turnover time is less than 15 minutes
- Our most frequently performed pediatric surgery is an appendectomy, with a mean length of stay of 2.1 days. Our complication rate is 1.6 percent lower than the top 15 percent of high-performing hospitals
Inova pediatric surgery capabilities
- General surgery
- Orthopedic oncology
- Otolaryngology (ENT)
If your child is scheduled for surgery
Free pre-surgical tour
If your child is scheduled for surgery at Inova Children's Hospital and you are interested in a pre-surgical tour for you and your child, please contact our Child Life Department at 703-776-3906.
Procedures requiring anesthesia or sedation require that your child fast before the exam or procedure. This is known as NPO (an acronym of the Latin, nothing by mouth). NPO means no fluids (including water) or food are allowed for a specified number of hours before the exam. The requirements vary depending on the procedure and the age of the child. Refer to our NPO guidelines (in both English and Spanish) for details.
Preparing your child for surgery
Additional helpful information for your child's surgery preparation is contained in our brochure. Please review or print Preparing Your Child for Surgery (available in English and Spanish).