Reporting of results
- Results are available through our SOFTWEB PLUS application for those clients with sign-on privileges
- Automatically sent via a printer or fax to the client's offices, if so equipped
- Sent through the U.S. mail
Any critical value determined will be phoned as soon as possible to the ordering clients.
Confidentiality of results
IRL is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of all patient information as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). To preserve patient confidentiality, we may request one or more of the following when responding to your telephone inquiry for test results. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- Patient name and/or Social Security number
- Client name and/or client number
- Identification by individual that he or she is, in fact, the "referring physician" identified on the requisition form by the client
IRL identifies tests that reflex when medically appropriate. Based upon certain laboratory results, additional tests may be automatically performed and are known as "reflexive testing."
In most cases, there is an additional charge to the patient or patient's insurance for these tests. Tests may be ordered with or without the reflexive testing option except for those that require follow-up because of clinical necessity or regulatory agency requirements.
Test availability and turnaround times
Results of most routine procedures are available within 24 hours after the specimen is received at IRL, Monday through Friday. The Test Directory
lists the days when a specific test is set up and the analysis time required for completion.
IRL utilizes Mayo Medical Laboratories in Rochester, Minnesota, and Quest Diagnostics in Chantilly, Virginia, as our reference laboratories for less commonly-performed procedures. These laboratories generally provide test results within 7 to 10 business days.