Prenatal Genetic Counseling
Make an appointment
To make an appointment for prenatal genetic counseling at Inova James T. Sites Antenatal Testing Center, call Erin Eichhorn at 703-776-6654 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even before becoming pregnant, prospective parents can receive genetic counseling to discuss the implications from age, complications in previous pregnancies or current health problems.
Meet our certified genetic counselor
Erin Eichhorn, MS, CGC, works closely with your physicians. She can help you make informed decisions about your pregnancy based on your own personal circumstances. Erin is certified by the American Board of Genetic Counselors.
She can help you:
- Understand the cause of a condition
- Know the chance of having future children with a condition
- Learn about current research, testing procedures and prenatal diagnosis
- Contact community resources, and if possible, other families or patients with the same condition
- Adjust to the personal and family issues related to a genetic disorder
In addition, Erin counsels couples who are planning a pregnancy and are interested in prenatal diagnostic testing. This testing might include carrier screening for genetic disorders or amniocentesis to rule out chromosomal abnormalities.
Learn the benefits of genetic counseling
Tests and procedures
Genetic testing can evaluate the health of both mother and baby even during the first trimester. Genetic tests or procedures may include:
- Ultrasound – A non-invasive test that produces an image of the fetus using sound waves.
- Amniocentesis – The insertion of a thin needle through the abdomen and into the fluid that surrounds the fetus to remove and test the fluid for chromosome abnormalities and other genetic disorders.
- Chorionic villus sampling – A procedure to extract cells from the placenta between 10 and 12 weeks of pregnancy to detect chromosome abnormalities and certain other genetic disorders.
Why choose Inova Women's Hospital for your testing?
At Inova Women's Hospital, you have immediate access to the most cutting-edge technology and the widest range of resources.
Our physicians conduct innovative research, participating in weekly clinical conferences and consulting frequently with physicians from other specialties.