Inova Fairfax Hospital’s Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) for six residents per year in the four-year program. More info about our OBGYN Residency 2014-2015 recruitment will be posted closer to August 1, 2014.
Program Number: 2205100301
Applicants are expected to display a commitment to a lifetime medical career in women's reproductive health. There is also an expectation of strong analytical ability and good judgment, proven academic skill, and sound moral character.
1. Selection criteria are consistent with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) General Requirements and Inova Fairfax Hospital’s Policies on Equal Employment Opportunity and Hiring Guidelines. Inova Fairfax Hospital’s Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program does not discriminate with regard to race, color, religion, national origin, handicap, veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, sex or age (except where sex and age are bona fide occupational qualifications).
2. Faculty review applicant documents and grants interviews based on ability, aptitude, academic record, and personal qualities such as motivation, ethical standards, and integrity.
3. Applications are accepted exclusively through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) of the American Association of Medical Colleges. Applicants should also be registered to participate in the Match through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
4. ERAS applications should include:
a. Three (3) letters of recommendation from U.S. or Canadian physicians, one of which must be from the OB/GYN Department Chair
b. MSPE (Medical Student Performance Evaluation) from the Dean of your medical school or a Dean’s Letter equivalent
c. Medical school transcript
d. Personal statement
e. Results of standardized tests: USMLE, NBME, FLEX, FMGEMS, COMLEX, or equivalent; all in-service exams, and ECFMG certificate (international graduates). (Available USLME scores will be reviewed as part of your application for a residency position. Successful completion of USMLE Step 2 CK and CS is required to become a resident at Inova Fairfax Hospital.)
Applicants selected for interview will be notified by e-mail or telephone and will be given an opportunity to choose one of the designated interview dates below. We offer interviews on a rolling basis. If you receive an invitation, please confirm by e-mail as soon as possible. Designated interview dates for 2014-2015 recruitment season will be posted near August 1, 2014.
International medical graduates
1. Inova Fairfax Hospital’s Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program accepts H1B and J1 visas pending review and approval by the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program and Inova Fairfax Hospital. We are not a J1 Visa sponsor so sponsorship will need to be processed thru the ECFMG organization.
2. There is no minimum USMLE score requirement but passing scores are required.
3. Previous clinical training in the United States is not required for application to our program.
4. There is no minimum time requirement between graduation from medical school and application for residency.
5. Any ECFMG certified applicant who has not been enrolled in a United States or Canadian residency program within eighteen months of being issued his/her ECFMG certificate must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language Exam (TOEFL) and obtain a score of at least 600 before beginning their residency. The Test of Spoken English (TSE) and Test of Written English (TWE) are also required. Excellent spoken and written command of the English language is expected.