Back to Inova in the Community
Inova Partnering Actively toward Health (iPATH)
Inova's iPATH community outreach program takes a fun, action-filled approach to introducing teens from diverse backgrounds to exercise and better eating habits. Local sports heroes provide inspiration and mentoring, and young people also learn about careers in the medical field from Inova experts.
iPATH's goal is to inspire healthier lifestyles among students and, as a result, improve the lives of the students, their families and their community. Northern Virginia is one of many regions in the U.S. where health statistics show an alarming trend toward inactivity, obesity and poor nutrition among young people
. Building on its early successes, iPATH hopes to expand its fitness and nutrition program to include more students and more schools.
iPATH is a collaborative community program that relies on the cooperation and support of a growing number of organizations, including:
- Fairfax County and Loudoun County schools
- Inova Health System
- Northern Virginia Healthy Kids Coalition
- American Heart Association
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation
NFL standouts lend their support
Supported by the star power of local sports greats Cliff Russell and Charles Mann, iPATH launched its pilot exercise and nutrition program at four Northern Virginia schools in Fall 2009. Middle- and high school-aged participants attend weekly after-school sessions that include:
- High-energy workouts personally led by sports hero Cliff Russell
- Nutrition and healthy lifestyle education from professional nutritionists
- Career counseling about healthcare training and jobs from Inova mentors
- Encouragement to share new-found expertise with others and to serve as ambassadors for better health to their schools, friends and families
Together we can improve the health of the community one student, one family, at a time.