Everyone forgets things now and then. Remembering everything can become more difficult as you get older. But certain types of memory loss may indicate more serious illnesses such as Alzheimer's or another type of dementia. Or the memory issues could be the result of other health issues.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says the following warning signs should not be ignored and recommends seeking out medical advice if you or a loved one are experiencing these symptoms:
- Suddenly forgetting things much more frequently than you once did
- Having difficulty remembering tasks you have performed many times
- Having trouble learning how to do new things
- Telling the same stories or saying the same phrases repeatedly in a conversation
- Having problems dealing with money or making decisions
- Having difficulty keeping track of daily events