Menorrhagia, or excessive menstrual bleeding, can be treated with hormone therapy, surgery or a combination of both. Surgical procedures to treat excessive bleeding may include:
- Endometrial resection – surgical removal of the uterine lining
- Hysterectomy – surgical removal of the uterus. Depending upon your situation, your fallopian tubes, ovaries and any visible growths may be removed.
Robotic-assisted surgery is an excellent alternative to open surgery for patients who are candidates for a minimally invasive procedure. Inova's state-of-the-art da Vinci® surgical system provides your doctor with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control. The surgery is performed through a few tiny incisions.
Benefits of robotic assisted surgery over open surgery include:
- Low blood loss
- Low conversion rate to open surgery
- Low rate of complications
- Short hospital stay
- Small incisions for minimal scarring
Talk with your surgeon about whether robotic-assisted surgery is an option for you. Or call 1-855-My-Inova (1-855-694-6682) for a referral to one of our da Vinci robotic surgical specialists.