Back to Results
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner- Cardiology
Mount Vernon Hospital 601369 Full Time 2501 Parkers Lane, Alexandria, VA, 22306, USApply
Job DescriptionClinical Practice & Management of Care: Provides safe therapeutic care in holistic and systemic way to include the assessment and overall management of care for critically ill patients under the supervision of an MD. Exercises independent judgement in the assessment, diagnosis and initiation of medical processes and procedures in accordance with the nurse practitioner licensure regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and as delineated in the written Scope of Practice/Protocol for Nurse Practitioner. Teamwork: Communicates effectively and works collaboratively with others. Demonstrates respect for and understanding of other clinical disciplines and uses an integrated approach to achieve desired patient outcomes. Evidence-based/Best Practice: Utilizes evidenced-based standards, guidelines, and protocols for care delivery. Incorporates data and information to continuously improve care and practice. Professional Development: Ensures improvements in practice settings by assuming responsibility for self-development in life-long learning. Provides direction and guidance to others regarding practice, serves as a resource, and mentor. Leadership skills demonstrated in decision making and problem solving.
- Clinical Practice & Management of Care: Performs and documents comprehensive physical and psychological exam of patients to identify priority care needs.
- Obtains and documents a detailed history, identifies patients at physiologic and or psychological risk, and prioritizes data based on immediate condition and needs.
- Practices in accordance with safe and effective standards of care and ensures compliance with professional and ethical standards of practice.
- Performs procedures as delineated in Scope of Practice/Protocol and as necessary to implement plan of care based on care standards and/or protocols.
- Develops differential diagnosis and plan of care based on data collection and revises based on physiologic and psychosocial findings. Orders appropriate tests, treatments, medications (if appropriate), and consults. Interprets and synthesizes laboratory, imaging, and other pertinent data. Reviews patient plan of care with interdisciplinary team and with the patient and family. Provides patient and family education.
- Evaluates and documents patient's response to care, and evaluates impact of illness on individual's health status, functional status, nutritional status, sleep and rest patterns, family, and social relationships, and establishes a health promotion strategy.
- Assumes clinical management for the critically ill cardiovascular patient population in collaboration with physicians in practice.
- Documents in the medical record per standards.
- Reviews medical record documentation with physician supervisor.
- Adjusts clinical management of the patient 24 hours per day in response to clinical changes in condition.
- Teamwork: Demonstrates effective communication skills and assists in the resolution of conflict among health care team members, patients, and families.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team and incorporate the expertise of the interdisciplinary team to achieve patient outcomes.
- Facilitates the assessment of patients learning needs and the achievement of outcomes related to patient education. Accesses and uses resources from all disciplines to achieve patient outcomes.
- Facilitates the communication among departments and health care providers to ensure continuity of care.
- Facilitates communication among departments to ensure continuity of care and establishes collegial relationships with physicians and other health care providers.
- Evidence-based/Best Practice: Assists in the development and revision of standards for patient populations and integrates evidence-based research findings into clinical practice. Participates in professional organization(s).
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives and assists with process and protocol development and revision based on research and evidence of effectiveness.
- Participates in clinical research and data collection and assists in projects and planning for continual development of respective specialty.
- Participates in protocol development to modifies practice based on scientific evidence.
- Maintains data integrity and compliance with data requirement in the professional society benchmarking system (STS).
- Is fully compliant with the IHI bundles (VAP, Central lines)
- Professional Development: Recognizes behaviors that impact the team function and implements strategies to optimize teamwork; serves as a mentor for team members and facilitates the understanding of the role of the Nurse Practitioner for other health care providers.
- Seeks leadership opportunities and facilitates leadership development among colleagues. Actively Identifies ongoing educational needs and participates in educational programs to correct knowledge deficits.
- Identifies ongoing educational needs and actively participates in educational programs to enhance knowledge and skill base.
- Provides formal and informal educational programs to improve staff clinical and professional knowledge. Provides formal and informal educational to members of the health care team on ongoing basis.
- Maintains certification(s) and licensure(s), including DEA license (if applicable). Maintains certification(s) and licensure(s), including DEA license.
- Maintains current knowledge of, and adherence to, state and federal regulations governing the practice of nurse practitioners.