Child Life Specialist 1
PRN Child Life Specialist 1 on Pediatrics Unit at Inova Loudoun Hospital
- Participates in consultation, education and interdepartmental communication with other members of the healthcare team. Effectively communicates patient/family needs to health care team using chart documentation, multidisciplinary rounds, and verbal reports. Assists senior staff in developing and providing educational in services for the healthcare team throughout the system. Utilizes professional communication that is proactive and respectful to establish and maintain effective relationships with co-workers. Attends weekly child life staff meetings and uses information provided to enhance communication and patient outcomes. Participates in the development and execution of department goals. Models child-friendly practices to staff and offers education when needed to improve the level of child-friendliness. Participates in team meetings and discussions regarding patient/family care.
- Provides child life services for all pediatric patients, sibling and family support and interventions. Provides one-to-one support and helps patient cope with stresses of hospitalization. Develops individual program of activities. Makes clinical decisions in collaboration with health care team based on theoretical knowledge and baseline clinical experience (measured by patient satisfaction scores, length of stay data, and the child life database). Seeks advice from senior staff when needed. Initiates collaboration with health care team to provide developmentally appropriate procedural teaching for all patients and families. Demonstrates ability to be flexible with chosen intervention strategies to adapt to the needs of patients/families. Incorporates knowledge of cultural diversity and competence when providing services to patients and families. Identifies patient and family learning needs and any barriers to teaching. Uses resources available to adapt to their needs. Communicates needs to the entire healthcare team. Differentiates between therapeutic and non-therapeutic relationships and maintains therapeutic boundaries. Utilizes educational materials and contributes to the development of new educational materials/methods of teaching for both patient/family and staff. Proactively provides parent education to decrease anxiety, promote positive coping, and improve patient outcomes as measured by patient satisfaction scores. Provides environment of patient safety, by adhering to all Joint Commission mandates, developing quality improvement initiatives to improve patient safety.
- Policy Development: Assists in establishing policies, procedure, goals and a statement of purpose. Assists in facilitating the utilization of community groups, entertainment, celebrity visitors and public relations program within the community. Identifies areas of improvement, offer suggestions for change, and works closely with the Director of Child Life Services and senior staff. Maintains CLC Child Life Certification. Seeks out opportunities for personal educational development to meet the demands of the changing professional practice.
- Resource Allocation: Assists in establishing guidelines for and managing donations. Utilizes resources appropriately within the parameters of the child life budget and under the guidance of the Director of Child Life. Orient, supervise, support, and prudently utilize pediatric volunteers. Participates in at least 2 community outreach events per year.
- Experience: Healthcare experience preferred.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree required at minimum; Education in child life, child development, psychology, and related fields
- Certification: Child life certification
- Training: Hands-on training in child life. Minimum required: Child Life internship | Preferred: Child Life Fellowship
Inova is Northern Virginia’s leading nonprofit healthcare provider. Our mission is to provide world-class healthcare – every time, every touch – to each person in every community we have the privilege to serve. Inova’s 18,000 team members serve more than 2 million individuals annually through an integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
Inova is home to Northern Virginia’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Level 4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Its hospitals have a total of 1,936 licensed beds. More information and statistics about Inova can be found at www.inova.org.
Safety Always: Learn how we keep our team members and patients Safe@Inova.