Financial Specialist 2
Job DescriptionAccuracy: Completes work assignments within established quality standards. Effective Communication: Communicates effectively with various audiences using the most appropriate method for the situation. Financial Counseling: Counsels patients on financial liability using available financial counseling tools to achieve maximum reimbursement for patient services. Insurance Verification: Verifies and enters insurance information and authorization/referral requirements. Patient Safety - Non-Nursing: Contributes to a safe patient care environment. Problem Solving: Identifies, analyzes, and effectively solves problems. Revenue Cycle: Applies knowledge of organizational revenue cycle to achieve key performance indicators. Service Excellence: Provides excellent service by identifying customer needs and fulfilling customer expectations. Teaming: Contributes to fullest potential to achieve team goals. Workload Management: Manages completion of work assignments based on priority and due dates.
- Improves inefficiencies and minimizes repetitive errors by changing how work is done. Accepts responsibility to review and correct errors before completion, and routes to others for review when appropriate. Delivers an acceptable volume of work with high levels of accuracy. Shares errors trends and makes recommendations to improve results with staff/team members.Selects the most effective communication method considering the audience, type of message and intended outcome. Distinguishes 'who needs what' information and delivers that information in a concise and timely manner. Encourages open communication of ideas and opinions. Coaches staff on communication methods and skills to foster effective and positive communication.
- Identifies alternative funding sources and shares with team members. Develops/implements monitoring process to ensure that applications and grants are submitted timely, and post-submission follow ups are current. Educates and trains others in financial counseling policies and procedures. Participates in process improvement activities and makes recommendations for new/revised policies and procedures.
- Educates/trains others on insurance theory, insurance verification and authorization/referral processes. Participates in related process improvement activities and makes suggestions for new or revised policies and procedures. Assists others in using online payer systems to complete insurance verification. Serves as a resource to team members for inquiries and issue resolution.
- Reports all near misses, accidents, and occurrences for patients, visitors and staff. Observes working environment for potential and actual hazards. Attends patient safety training and maintains up-do-date safety certifications if required for job. Wears photo I.D. badge at chest level at all times and identifies self and role to patients and their families. Reports safety hazards/violations and takes appropriate action to protect the environment and guests until help arrives if necessary. Demonstrates knowledge of safety policies and procedures relevant to department/position. Provides appropriate assistance to/on behalf of patients demonstrating or communicating a need for assistance.
- Responds to daily problems with an appropriate sense of urgency. Uses a logical process to identify the cause of the problem and develop an appropriate solution. Involves others in the problem solving process when additional input is needed. Recognizes when a problem needs to be elevated for resolution.
- Has working knowledge of front-end functions that initiate patient care, including scheduling, registration and care management. Demonstrates understanding of account resolution processes, including benefit verification, insurance classification, billing complaint claims, and account follow-up. Recognizes and resolves system as well as payer rejections and denials using established course of action. Stays current with relevant insurance, contractual and/or third party payer regulations, medical policies, transaction and code sets, and general payment methods needed to ensure proper adjudication and compliance with industry standards.
- Gathers information about a customer complaint in a courteous, professional manner. Provides information and assistance regarding complimentary services when scheduling problems occur. Conveys customer feedback to all relevant individuals. Presents clear and accurate information to customers when providing solutions to an issue. Refers difficult issues to senior management. Ensures that customer receives courteous treatment throughout the problem solving process. Generates alternative solutions that will meet customer needs and expectations. Accepts and provides direct, honest feedback between team members in a non-punishing manner. Works effectively with team members to achieve team goals. Supports group decision even if the decision differs from personal opinion. Informs and consults team members, leaders and stakeholders as to potential barriers that impact team results. Workload Management:
- Anticipates overload and peak work conditions and makes plans/identifies resources to resolve them. Leverages all available resources - people, material, information, and technology - to complete work. Divides large projects/assignments into phases with projected due dates and resource requirements. Manages multiple projects to completion, working by priority and due date of tasks.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3 years Patient Access
- Basic communication and computer skills.
- Proven history of sound decision making, problem solving, and analytical thinking.