Cytology Program Specialist-Full Time
SIGN-On : 10,000 for a new employee
Benefits and Perks:
- Health, Vision, and Dental Coverage
- Life Insurance, Short/Long Term Disability
- Retirement: Inova matches dollar for dollar the first 5% of your eligible pay that you contribute to the plan
- Competitive salary: Pay based experience
- Amazing Paid Time Off: Accrue PTO hours on your very first day of work
- Supplemental Plans: Including Auto/Home Insurance discounts, Pet Insurance, Identity Theft Protection
- Additional Benefits: Educational Assistance of up to $5,250/year, Student Loan Refinancing, Adoption Assistance, Child Care Centers, Scholarship Program, Free Parking, Exclusive savings opportunities to in-store events, theme parks, discounts, movie tickets and local offerings and so much more!
See Full List of Benefits Here: 2022 INOVA BENEFITS GUIDE
Requirements for consideration:
3-5 years associated experience in all areas of cytotechnology and technical component of the cytopathology service
Baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from a college/university in a biological science, chemistry, or mathematics PLUS one year in an accredited school of cytotechnology; OR Baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) in cytotechnology
Cytotechnologist (CT) or general Medical Technologist with Specialty in Cytotechnology
Fully oriented in both gynecologic and non-gynecologic cytology methodologies including related microscopic evaluation and diagnosis
Requires strong mental and visual concentration. Requires manual dexterity with good eye/hand coordination.
Working knowledge of computer, computerized equipment; organizational and time management skills; interpersonal skills; team skills
- Receives and accepts specimens that are submitted for cytologic processing. Evaluates specimens for accurate transport/submission conditions (e.g. fixation) and screens for Rejection Criteria.
- Accessions specimens, order procedures (as needed), enters related data information accurately and efficiently in the Anatomic Pathology subsystem according to established procedures
- Performs routine and special specimen collection, sample preparation to include processing specimens in appropriate fixatives and include special handling requirements for fine needle aspiration techniques according to established procedures Handles and prepares specimens from gynecologic sources to include filing, retrieval and disposal of specimens in a timely and accurate manner according to established procedures
- Checks two identifiers on specimens containers when receiving patient tissue for processing; and maintains positive patient identification using unique accession numbers assigned accounting for all material submitted by Operating Units according to established procedures Coordinates cytopreparatory work to include scheduling of processing to meet workload demand.
- Anticipates staffing requirements and coordinates with Manager any necessary arrangements in staffing schedules and workload coverage.
- Monitors submitted material to tracking records and logs created by the Anatomic Pathology subsystem ensuring that quality control checks (e.g. specimen processing pending logs) are monitored Orders supplies and consumables necessary for pre-analytic procedures prior to testing.
- Maintains adequate inventory levels at all times according to established procedures Processes Send-Outs (i.e. specimen preparation for testing not handled in-house) accurately and completely according to established procedures Communicates to promote and maintain team knowledge; and participates in professional growth opportunities to enhance personal, team, and service department goals.
- Promotes the services of the Inova Central Laboratory within the mission of the Inova Health System assuring exceptional quality health care services that assures value to patients, employer, clients and Inova. Uses time efficiently for the service.
- To enhance Ttrrn-Around-Time, must be flexible; adaptable and multitasks Communicates unresolved problems to the staff (e.g. next shift) and management. Maintains patient and coworker confidentiality. Follows the specific Standard Operating Policies and Procedures including all technical, operational, and administrative instructions Follows regulatory agency guidelines for the College of American Pathologists (CAP), Joint Commission Agency for Hospital Organizations (JCAHO), CLIA, Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA), State and Federal. Serves as a resource for these guidelines Serves as inspection team member when applicable.
- Stays informed: attends meetings or reads minutes; signs off on changes in a timely manner; reads e-mail; reads and implements informational memoranda and notifications
- Meets any and all mandatory training in HealthStream; and any and all health and regulatory guidelines as mandated by company or laboratory policy.
- Participate in the introduction, investigation and implementation of new procedures and the evaluation of new instruments to improve the Cytology service operations and efficiency.
- Ensures that all new protocols, procedures, and related policies are reviewed and approved by the Medical Director at appropriate intervals Test and validate tissues or appropriate cytologic specimens to be used as controls (positive and/or negative) for special procedures, if applicable Evaluates, correlates and assures accuracy and validity of laboratory information Ensures that all related protocols and standard operating procedures and policies are attested to by related testing personnel. Develop user-friendly instructional material/guidelines to train existing and new personnel by providing orientation of the Inova Central Laboratory and Inova Laboratory Services.
- Performs Competency Assessments at designated intervals and after changes are made to existing Standard Operating Procedures.
- Perform Quality Control and Assurance activities as directed; identifying quality improvement initiatives to ensure optimum laboratory service operations
- Performs required Quality Control Procedures to include: >Cytotechnologist Individual Comparisons >5-year Negative Review >Histology/Cytology Correlation with Interpretation >Cytology-Histology Correlation, Follow-up with Interpretation >Fine Needle Aspiration Follow-up with Interpretation >Service Diagnostic Summary and Report Recognizes Quality Control problems and discrepancies; and attempts to determine cause of problem prior to notification.
- Notifies appropriate individual regarding Quality Control problems or discrepancies Performs Quality Control and Preventive Maintenance on all testing equipment including corrective action documentation for all procedures and instrumentation Works with Quality Assurance Office and/or Compliance Officer to ensure compliance to all associated federal regulations and testing compliance as mandated by CLIA, CAP, and JCAHO.
- Performs all related Proficiency testing for the service.
- Participates in all regulatory checklist reviews and inspections.
- Performs contingent action duties; reviews and retests, if necessary, any specimen variances. Investigates/resolves sample and data flags; ensures review of results by Medical Director or Cytopathologist assigned Responsible for the coordination of cytology operations for the Inova Central Laboratory and Inova Laboratory Services.
- Performs a wide range of moderate to high complexity technical activities related to the production of high quality testing. Integrates, applies scientific knowledge, troubleshoots, and performs more complex procedures in sample processing and testing methodologies to produce timely cytologic product for microscopic reviews; and accurate data for diagnostic interpretation.Maintain and operate related instruments and equipment in accordance with established protocols.
- Monitor and document instrument and equipment performance. Troubleshoot instrument or equipment failure and perform minor repairs and adjustments as necessary Follows established procedures in cytologic staining and specimen processing.
- Evaluates, assesses and adapts procedures to deal with variances associated with processing in order to maintain maximum quality of finished product
- Follows established procedures in microscopic screening, review and interpretation.
- Evaluates, assesses and adapts procedures to deal with variances associated with microscopic evaluation in order to maintain maximum quality in sectioning.
- Follows established procedure(s) in fine needle aspiration techniques to include on-site cytopathology assistance.
- This includes assessment of adequate cellularity, collection & interpretation of pertinent clinical information.
- However evaluates, assesses and adapts procedures to deal with variances associated with fine-needle aspiration and on-site evaluation in order to maintain maximum quality in standard staining.
- Perform quality control in all aspects of cytologic specimen processing, testing, and interpretation procedures to ensure consistent and adequate preparations suitable for diagnosis.
- Any discrepancies are reporting using the Variance Reporting mechanism.