Pharmacy Technician 2
Job DescriptionProcures and distributes medication per physician request, pharmacist request or prearranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures, and protocols. Maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies according to established policies and procedures. Proficient in IV Admixture procedures including using aseptic technique in preparation of medication, calculations, maintenance of clean area, and complete documentation. Responsible for the control, accountability and distribution of controlled drugs in the pharmacy.
- Maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies according to established policies and procedures.
- Accurately pre packs medications as evidenced by pharmacists review of repackaging log.
- Restocks assigned areas, puts away unused medication, utilizes want book and associated inventory management procedures. Accurately restocks code cart, stock kits as evidenced by pharmacist review.
- Performs monthly unit inspections including monitoring of expiration dates as evidenced by inspection logs and lack of nursing unit complaints. Knowledgeable about and participates in department quality programs as evidenced by attendance at department meetings and the ability to describe department quality initiatives.
- Able to order items & place on shelf properly, and process returns & identify vendor errors.
- Procures and distributes medication per physician request, pharmacist request or prearranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures, and protocols. Does pharmacy runs within 30 minutes of scheduled time.
- Accurately fills automated dispensing devices as evidenced by the lack of reports of incorrectly filling items.
- Accurately fills unit dose pick, first doses and floor stock.
- Able to take refill orders from customers accurately as evidenced by the lack of reports of incorrectly filled items.
- Responds to phone calls& pagers etc. and follow through. Uses appropriate phone etiquette when answering phones as evidenced by follow through and lack of complaints.
- Accurately generates reports,input orders,generates charges and credits, reprints labels as evidenced by lack of peer complaints.
- Assists pharmacist in drug selection & counting meds accurately as evidenced by lack of pharmacists complaints.
- Able to perform basic cash register operations in outpatient pharmacy as evidenced by end of day report. Knowledge of outpatient computer operation, including editing, issuing statements & running monthly reports as evidenced by rejection log.
- Proficient in IV Admixture procedures including using aseptic technique in preparation of medication, calculations, maintenance of clean area, and complete documentation. Accurately prepares IV Admixture and sterile compounding as evidenced by the lack of contamination in test solutions.
- Achieves > 70% on yearly aseptic technique, chemo and calculation competencies.
- Maintains equipment including cleaning surfaces, calibration of equipment, changing hood filters as evidenced by documentation logs. Documents on hood cleaning logs, temperature logs, and other records as required,as evidenced by documentation logs.
- Responsible for the control, accountability and distribution of controlled drugs in the pharmacy. Accurately controls medications from the vault using Secure Med or CII Safe as evidenced by reports. Performs physical inventories of controlled substances in the vault according to department policy as evidenced by documentation logs. Assures all documentation is complete and appropriately filed as evidenced by observation. Reconciles controlled substance kits according to procedures for all kits returned containing controlled substances as evidenced by number of discrepancies found. Accurately accounts for controlled substances dispensed during down times as evidenced by discrepancies found.
1 year preferred Healthcare experience
IV Room Experience Required
High School or GED
Certified Pharmacy Tech within 6 months
VA Pharmacy Tech or Intern license upon start
Hospital Pharmacy Experience Required