Technical Director Clinical Chemistry
Provides clinical consultations and responds to physician inquiries regarding test results and interpretations for Inova Health System. Develops and conducts educational training programs for laboratory staff and Medical Laboratory Scientist program. Ensures quality outcomes for Clinical Chemistry across the system, including preanalytic, analytic, and postanalytic test performance. Ensures successful proficiency testing, quality control, method selection and validation, maintenance of internal policies and procedures, compliance with external laws and regulations, and JCAHO, CLIA and CAP requirements. Working in conjunction with the system AVP for Laboratory Services, Chairman/Medical Director, and Laboratory Directors and is responsible for helping to provide direction and leadership for the technical and scientific responsibilities of Clinical Chemistry. Stays abreast of advances in clinical chemistry and uses knowledge to improve laboratory efficiency and quality outcomes. Guides system on Standards of Practice for clinical chemistry testing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Confers with physicians, laboratory staff, clinical chemistry vendors, and reference laboratories in matters of interpretation of test results, and implementation of new reagents, equipment and procedures
- Evaluates and recommends new diagnostic methods and equipment
- Leads the Inova Health System Chemistry Clinical Practice Team. Recommends and leads initiatives for standardization of test methods and instrumentation for all Inova Laboratories.
- Establishes and conducts educational training for Medical Laboratory Science students, residents and house staff
- Identifies and addresses quality issues in order to improve patient care
- Reviews and analyzes quality control and proficiency testing data, analyzing trends and recommending corrective action as needed
- Participates in CAP inspection teams assembled by Inova laboratories
- Collaborates with laboratory leadership team to ensure accreditation readiness
- Assumes responsibilities assigned by Medical Director in matters of staff competency evaluation, procedure/procedure review, and test method validation review and approval
- Provides oversight and recommendations relating to workflow, facilities, publishing, and regulatory requirements
- Engages in active ongoing review of the Clinical Chemistry testing portfolio, equipment
- Generates 5, 10, and 15 year plans to forecast test menu changes in Clinical Chemistry to best serve Inova’s patient population
- Evaluates reference lab testing across the system to determine whether tests can be cost effectively brought in-house
- Performs financial and technical analyses of new test methods and instrumentation and makes recommendations for or against adoption of new methods
- Maintains extensive knowledge about current testing and applies this knowledge to the interpretation of data & communication/reporting of results to clinicians
- Maintains a strong background in Clinical Chemistry in order to support staff.
- Maintains knowledge of best practices in Clinical Chemistry to include test utilization
- Solves technical problems including those with equipment and reagents
- Supervises daily work of exempt and nonexempt employees. In collaboration with manager, selects, hires and trains employees
- Establishes performance expectations and provides direction, feedback and guidance to employees
- Completes performance evaluations, coaching and disciplinary actions.
- PhD in Clinical in Chemistry
- 2 years in a healthcare system; 5 years in a healthcare system preferred
- Eligible for certification by American Board of Clinical Chemistry (ABCC) required
- Dipolmate American Board of Clinical Chemistry (DABCC), Fellow of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (FAACC) preferred