Radiation Therapist 2
Inova Schar Cancer Institute Radiation Therapy department is seeking a PRN Radiation Therapist 2 to join their team.
As a Radiation Therapist 2, you will communicate effectively with patients, families, medical staff, healthcare team members, supervisors and outside contacts. To help achieve our mission, you will demonstrate essential skills of treatment modalities and protocols to accurately set-up and administer radiation treatments on a daily basis. Performing simulation procedures for initial patient set-up while verifying proper functioning of linear accelerators, simulators and Computed Tomography machines is of vital importance.
- Provides education and support of methods appropriate to the patient's level of understanding and motivation. Includes family/caregiver in education and training as appropriate.
- Demonstrates collaboration in communication with team members and is open to feedback and receptive to change as evidenced by team feedback. Communicates with families, physicians, or other health care team members in anticipation of special needs of the patients or family in a timely manner to facilitate effective treatment of the patient.
- Positions patients for initial treatment and verifies set-up per prescription. Verifies beam parameters, ancillary aids, and blocking via record and verification system on the machine and the patient's computerized treatment plan, before initiation of the radiation beam.
- Maintains accurate records of daily treatments and other records as required. Documents any corrections in chart resulting from changes in the originally prescribed course of treatment.
- Detects unsatisfactory set-up and/or errors, resolves or reports to physician and physics.
- Ensures that portal verification films are taken at appropriate intervals. Recognizes the need for adjustments in treatment ports when comparing simulation films and portal films or patient position. Prepares immobilization devices in accordance with physician prescription.
- Positions patient for initial definition of tumor volume to be determined by physician. Films specified treatment volume for review and approval by physician.
- Marks/tattoos appropriate body anatomy for daily re-positioning on linear accelerator. Documents or captures patient measurements and machine treatment parameters for dosimetry planning and calculations. Acquires CT data sets for patient positioning, contours, and set-up parameters.
- Attends department in-services/conferences and meetings. Keeps abreast of new technology in the field and asist in the development of new techniques, participation in research projects or educational demonstrations. Acquire a minimum of 24 continuing education credits every two years to maintain ARRT certification as a Registered Radiation Therapist.
- Demonstrates knowledge of department treatment modalities and protocols in scheduling, set-up and treatment of patients.
- Performs daily QA on linear accelerators, simulator and CT to verify the accurate output of designated parameters. Reports erratic operation of equipment to physics. Verifies operation of emergency shutoffs and interlocks. Reports any discrepancies to physics. Participate or provides assistance within-vivo dosimetry measurements and special dosimetry.
- Ability to operate equipment with minimal supervision, preferred
- Associates Degree or Certification
- Staff Therapist in a Radiation Therapy Department with 2 years of minimum experience in linear accelerators and patient simulation.
- American Registered Radiologic Technologists ARRT Certification in Radiation Therapy required upon Start
- Basic Life Support through AHA required upon Start
Ability to operate equipment with minimal supervision.