Registered Nurse Outpatient
Job DescriptionAs an Outpatient Registered Nurse, you will provide safe/therapeutic care in a holistic and systematic way in a physician practice or other outpatient setting. To help achieve our mission, you will incorporate differences into the provision of care while integrating knowledge, skills and experiences to meet the needs of patients and families to include patient and family education. Your ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with others while having respect for and an understanding of other clinical disciplines is essential. Using an integrated approach toward achieving desired patient outcomes while utilizing standards, guidelines and pathways for care delivery is of vital importance. Incorporating data and information to improve care and enhance outcomes while ensuring improvements in practice settings, by assuming responsibility for self-development in lifelong learning, is expected. Your ability to provide direction and guidance to others regarding practice while serving as a resource, preceptor and mentor is required.
Clinical Practice & Case Management- Provides safe therapeutic care in a holistic and systematic way in a physician practice or other outpatient setting. Incorporates differences into the provision of care. Integrates knowledge, skills, and experiences to meet the needs of patients and families to include patient and family education. Teamwork- Communicates effectively and works cooperatively with others. Has respect for and understanding of other clinical disciplines. Uses an integrated approach toward patient outcomes. Quality/Best Practice- Utilizes standards, guidelines, and pathways for care delivery. Incorporates data and information to improve care and enhance outcomes. Professional Development- Ensures improvements in practice settings by assuming responsibility for self-development in life-long learning. Provides direction and guidance to others regarding practice, serves as a resource, preceptor, and mentor. Leadership skills demonstrated in decision making and problem solving. Serves as a resource, preceptor, and mentor. Demonstrates leadership skills in decision making and problem solving.
Typical Inova Outpatient RN Responsibilities:
-Reconciliation of Meds
What You Need:
Experience: 6 months experience as a Registered Nurse.
Education: BSN or ADN from an accredited school of Nursing.
If RN has an ASN, within 6 months of start date the RN must meet with their nurse leader and:
o Identify which Accredited School the employee
plans to attend
o Submit a review of transcript from the school
indicating the required pre-requisites and
timeline for taking the courses
o Provide a written plan with anticipated BSN
o Complete BSN within 24 months of start
Certifications: BLS for Healthcare Provider certification required (from the American Heart Association).
Licensure: RN licensed, or eligible to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia as an RN.
Skills: Proficient in English.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to display a caring demeanor toward others.
Proficient computer skills required
- Clinical Practice & Case Management- Performs essential duties necessary to clinic or non-acute operations to include taking patient vitals, stocking exam rooms, giving vaccines, blood draws, etc.
- Formulates a plan of care based on trends of similar patients, including patient education and discharge planning. Collaborates with patients/families to identify realistic desired outcomes.
- Adapts standards and guidelines for individual patients.
- Tailors and prioritizes caring practice to individual needs, including cultural/ethical/spiritual needs. Participates in the planning of routine transitional health care needs. (i.e. treatment options, patient placement options, end of life options).
- Responds to changes in patient’s needs and provides holistic caring.
- Adapts planned educational programs and information to individual patients and family by modifying teaching strategies or content. Integrates education during the delivery of patient care.
- Ensures efficiency in the delivery of care; determines immediate priorities and offers solutions for problems.
- Makes independent clinical decisions based on knowledge drawn from education and experience.
- Actively advocates for patient rights and identifies potential conflict.
- Seek counsel for resolution of conflict.
- Identifies variances from expected outcomes.
- Evaluates patient outcomes and makes revisions in the plan of care.
- Documents all patient care activities as per documentation standards.
- Assists the healthcare team with the documentation process.
- Understands, explains, participates and utilizing human caring initiatives.
- Teamwork- Appropriately delegates patient care activities to other health care team members and participates on making and revising staff assignments.
- Demonstrates willingness to give 100% and voluntarily assists others. Works with the team to achieve maximum productivity.
- Communicates and collaborates consistently with the health care team members, patients, and families to maximize patient outcomes.
- Keeps informed of initiatives and incorporates the outcomes of the team or committee work into practice.
- Participates in work groups and/or committees. Demonstrates willingness to give 100% and assist others voluntarily.
- Works with the team to achieve maximum productivity.
- Quality/Best Practice- Participates in quality improvement initiatives.
- Incorporates research findings into nursing practice.
- Professional Development- Acts as a clinical resource and serves as a mentor to health care team members. Displays leadership behaviors.
- Acts as a clinical resource and serves as a mentor to health care team members; displays leadership behaviors.
- Identifies own learning needs based on self-evaluation and the progress made from the previous year’s goals.
- Demonstrates evidence of a minimum of 20 hours of self-development activities with a minimum of 6 formal contact hours. (beyond orientation/ fellowship program).
- Maintains own Employee Continuing Education Record.