Radiation Therapist 2
Inova’s Potomac Radiation Oncology Center in Woodbridge, VA is seeking PRN Radiation Therapist 2 to join the team. An ideal candidate will be able to adhere to the following functions:
As a Radiation Therapist 2, you will communicate effectively with patients, family, medical staff, care team members, supervisors and outside contacts. Demonstrates essential skills of treatment modalities and protocols to accurately set-up and administer radiation treatments on a daily basis. Performs simulation procedures for initial patient set-up. Verifies proper functioning of linear accelerators and simulator. Maintains professional development and certification.
- Provides education and support of methods appropriate to the patient's level of understanding and motivation. Includes family/caregiver in education and training as appropriate.
- Demonstrates collaboration in communication with team members and is open to feedback and receptive to change as evidenced by team feedback. Communicates with families, physicians or other health care team members in anticipation of special needs of the patients or family in a timely manner to facilitate effective treatment of patient.
- Positions patients for initial treatment and verifies set-up per prescription. Verifies beam parameters, ancillary aids and blocking via record and verification system on machine and the patients computerized treatment plan, before initiation of radiation beam.
- Maintains accurate records of daily treatments and other records as required. Documents any corrections in chart resulting from changes in the originally prescribed course of treatment.
- Detects unsatisfactory set-up and/or errors, resolves or reports to physician and physics.
- Ensures that portal verification films are taken at appropriate intervals. Recognizes the need for adjustments in treatment ports when comparing simulation films and portal films or patient position. Prepares immobilization devices in accordance with physician prescription.
- Positions patient for initial definition of tumor volume to be determined by physician. Films specified treatment volume for review and approval by physician.
- Marks/tattoos appropriate body anatomy for daily re-positioning on linear accelerator. Documents or captures patient measurements and machine treatment parameters for dosimetry planning and calculations. Acquires CT data sets for patient positioning, contours, and set-up parameters.
- Performs daily QA on linear accelerators and simulator to verify accurate output of designated parameters. Reports erratic operation of equipment to physics. Verifies operation of emergency shutoffs and interlocks. Reports any discrepancies to physics.
- Participate or provides assistance with in-vivo dosimetry measurements and special dosimetry.
- Two (2) years as a Staff Therapist in a Radiation Therapy Department
- Ability to operate Varian linear accelerators and GE simulator equipment with minimal supervision
- Associate Degree in Radiation Therapy
- ARRT Certification in Radiation Therapy