Back to Results
Medical Laboratory Scientist 2 PRN Inova Loudoun
Loudoun Hospital 617848 Part Time 44045 Riverside Parkway, Leesburg, VA, 20176, USApply
Job DescriptionAs a Medical Laboratory Scientist 2, you will ensure quality specimens for Laboratory testing by recognizing pre-analytical factors that adversely affect patient results. To help achieve our mission, you will operate systems/methodologies in order to produce timely and accurate data for patients, quality control and proficiency testing. Participating in departmental development by demonstrating operational knowledge and adhering to regulatory standards is of vital importance. Communicating effectively and working cooperatively with team members to optimize job performance and foster working relationships is required. Participating in professional growth opportunities to enhance personal, team and departmental development is expected.
- Reviews technical activities for quality assurance per facility requirements.
- Completes all required documents associated with training and/or competency in a timely manner.
- Participates in continuing education per facility expectations and/or to maintain registry certification.
- Participates and helps prepare Laboratory for self and onsite inspections.
- Follows site specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and instructions. Annually reads SOP and documents knowledge of contents.
- Performs required Quality Control (QC) measures, including corrective action and documentation, for all procedures and instrumentation. Recognizes QC problems or discrepancies and attempts to determine cause of problems prior to notification. Notifies appropriate individual(s) regarding QC problems or discrepancies according to the established procedures.
- Acts as a resource person/key operator for coworkers, customers and patients for technical questions. Demonstrates an expanded knowledge of technical and administrative tasks beyond normal technical operations.
- Reports accurate results while minimizing the number of corrected reports not attributed to auto-verification or specimen conditions beyond technical control.
- Adheres to regulatory agency guidelines (e.g. CAP, The Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, OSHA, State, FDA, AABB, etc.).
- Demonstrates knowledge performing special procedures per department and based on competency assessment specific to those procedures.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
- Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited MLS program, NAACLS or ABHES accredited MSL program, or a foreign medical laboratory science clinical training program within the last five years can be used in lieu of one year of full time acceptable clinical experience.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university in Medical Laboratory Science / Medical Technology, Or a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university with 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) in biology including one semester in microbiology and 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) in chemistry including one semester in organic or biochemistry, which may be obtained within, or in addition to, the baccalaureate degree.
- Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program. Or successful completion of a 50 week U.S. military medical laboratory training course within the last ten years.
- ASCP or AMT Board certification consistent with scope of responsibility to include: MT, MLS, MLT, BB, SBB, C, H, M, SH, SCT, MB, SMB, SM, SC, and HEW.