Registered Nurse Trauma Intensive Care Unit
**This position is eligible for a competitive Sign On and Relocation Bonus for qualified candidates.**
Inova is Northern Virginia’s leading nonprofit healthcare provider. Our mission is to provide world-class healthcare – every time, every touch – to each person in every community we have the privilege to serve. Inova’s 18,000 team members serve more than 2 million individuals annually through an integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
Inova’s five hospitals are consistently recognized by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals and Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades for excellence in healthcare.
Inova is home to Northern Virginia’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Level 4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Its hospitals have a total of 1,936 licensed beds. More information and statistics about Inova can be found at www.inova.org.
We are looking for an experienced RN for the day/night shift.
The Trauma Intensive Care Unit (TICU) at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus is a high acuity, 18-bed unit designated for the most seriously ill or injured trauma patients. The Inova Trauma Center specialists provide rapid response to surrounding counties and states within a 200-mile radius from the hospital. The Trauma ICU is committed to facilitating a comprehensive continuum of care for our patients beginning with the “Golden Hour” of trauma resuscitation and extending beyond their discharge. Trauma ICU nurses act as designated trauma bay responders to work in tandem with Trauma Surgeons and Emergency Department staff to respond to critically ill trauma patients the moment they enter the ED/ Trauma Bay.
This integrated trauma team approach facilitates excellence in teamwork and enhances the ability of the Trauma ICU nurse to understand all phases of trauma recovery process. The Inova Trauma Center serves a population of more than 3,500 trauma patients annually in addition to surgical patients experiencing hemorrhagic shock and/or post-operative patients under the consultation of a Trauma/Acute Care Surgeon.
The Trauma Intensive Care Unit is a fast-paced, high acuity environment. The average nurse: patient ratio is 1:2 and often 1:1 to accommodate a high acuity patient and advanced technologies. Over 65% of the Trauma ICU nursing staff have Advanced Trauma Care for Nurses (ATCN) certifications and 55% of eligible nurses hold advanced certifications in critical care nursing (CCRN) and or (CEN). The TICU is a two-time Gold National Beacon Award winner for Critical Care Excellence, presented by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN). The Beacon Award recognizes the nation's top critical (intensive) care units. The Inova Trauma Center has been verified by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and designated as a trauma center for more than 30 years by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The designation of “ Level 1, “ the highest level that can be assigned to a trauma center, is given only to centers that can provide the highest level of specialty expertise, as well as meet or exceed national standards as described by the American College of Surgeons.
The Inova Trauma Center is Northern Virginia's only Level 1 Trauma Center and one of only 73 Level 1 trauma centers recognized across the U.S by the ACS. Care needs for our patients may include, but are not limited to patients requiring:
- Invasive hemodynamic and/or cardiac monitoring
- Massive Transfusion Protocol
- Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Intubation and mechanical ventilation with or without advanced modalities
- Intravenous administration of vasoactive medications
- Post-operative recovery for extensive surgical procedures
- Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) o Conduction of medical and nursing research studies
Inova Fairfax Hospital is proud to announce that the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) awarded Magnet® designation, the most prestigious accolade for nursing excellence, to our hospital in December 2020. Currently, only 8.5% of hospitals in the nation hold Magnet® designation and Inova Fairfax Hospital is proud to be part of this select group. The new Magnet designation is in addition to several other prestigious recognitions which include: a five star rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), being named by IBM Watson Health as one the nation's highest performing hospitals, and among the top 10 Major Teaching Hospitals, an A for Patient Safety by The Leapfrog Group, the #1 hospital in the DC metro area by U.S. News & World Reports, and being nationally ranked in gynecologic care.
Why Inova? Follow the link to learn more about us! History of Inova
We honor our RN’S for providing world-class healthcare-every time, every touch- to each person in every community we have the privilege to serve! Follow the link to learn about our Nurse's!
- 1- 2 Years of ICU exp. Preferred
- Education - BSN or AD
- If RN has an AD, within 6 months of start date the RN must meet with their nurse leader and
- Identify which Accredited School the employee plans to attend
- Submit a review of transcript from the school indicating the required pre-requisites and timeline for taking the courses
- Provide a written plan with anticipated BSN completion date.
- Complete BSN within 24 months of start date
- BLS for Healthcare Provider Certification required and ACLS strongly preferred (must obtain within first 3 months)
- RN licensed, or eligible to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a RN
- Proficient in English, strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skill and the ability to display a caring demeanor towards others
- Proficient computer skills required