Back to Results
Laboratory Technician Assistant PSC Float
Central Lab 618303 Full Time 2832 Juniper Street, Fairfax, VA, 22031, USApply
Job DescriptionAs a Laboratory Technician Assistant for the Patient Service Center (PSC) Float Pool, you will manage specimen accessioning and processing accurately/efficiently to provide quality specimens for Laboratory testing. To help achieve our mission, you will perform proper specimen and/or blood products collections by confirming patient/donor identification, collecting specimens in proper tubes, utilizing venipuncture/capillary techniques and accurately labeling the specimens/blood products to ensure accurate patient results. Performing registration and reviewing billing information accurately/efficiently in order to ensure regulatory compliance is of vital importance. Your ability to provide excellent patient and customer service by using AIDET principles and ensuring the correctness/quality of technical information/directions provided to customers is appropriate is required. Traveling to assigned facilities and working seamlessly with teams to complete duties is expected.
- Demonstrates knowledge performing special procedures per facility department and based on competency assessment specific to those procedures.
- Explains and keeps customers informed of all processes and procedures. Helps customers to have clear expectation of what is occurring and duration of procedure and when there will be a wait time. Observation by peer work team, supervisor, leader. Acknowledges all patient and clients (either in person or on the phone) with a smile and pleasant manner. Observation by peer work team, supervisor, leader.
- Accurately labels smears, media plates, centrifuge tubes and other secondary containers. Prioritizes specimens after collection or as they arrive in the Laboratory or on pending lists.
- Maintains current knowledge of methods for blood, urine, stool and culture collections and explains specimens collection protocols to patients, nurses and physicians as required.
- Distributes and/or prepares specimens according to special requirements while prioritizing delivery to departments or outsourced Laboratories. Arranges for couriers and confirms pick-up.
- Utilizes the "Stop, Think, Act and Review" technique and/or peer checking when encountering uncertainty, questions or unfamiliarity in any procedure or patient/customer/client interaction or process.
- Demonstrates proper maintenance of equipment, replacement of disposable supplies, paper etc. Demonstrates ability to troubleshoot and resolve office technology issues.
- Proactively contacts assigned facilities to review any issues and workflow.
- Three years of experience in a Patient Service Center environment, laboratory or physician office environment including two years of phlebotomy experience and registration experience.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- CPR within one year of hire. Certification from an accredited phlebotomy program or successful completion of the Inova Phlebotomy Training Program. Completion of Phlebotomy training can also be from another Allied health training program such as Medical Assistant, MLT or MT. Valid Driver's license with clean driving record.