Medical Laboratory Scientist 1
Job DescriptionDuties and Responsibilities
- Follows standard protocol for patient/donor identification and specimen/blood product labeling.
- Participates in Laboratory clinical practice teams, Inova Health System committees and hospital teams.
- Ensures quality specimens for laboratory testing by recognizing pre-analytical factors that adversely affect patient results.
- Demonstrates an expanded knowledge of technical and administrative tasks beyond normal technical operations.
- Minimizes the number of corrected reports not attributed to auto-verification or specimen conditions beyond technical control.
- Performs required quality control (QC) procedures including corrective action and documentation for all procedures/instrumentation.
- Adheres to regulatory agency guidelines (e.g. CAP, The Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, OSHA, State, FDA, AABB, etc.).
- Recognizes QC problems or discrepancies and attempts to determine cause of problems prior to escalation. Notifies appropriate individual(s) regarding QC problems or discrepancies according to established procedures.
- Operates systems/methodologies in order to produce timely and accurate data for patients, QC, and proficiency testing.
- Demonstrates knowledge performing special procedures per department and based on competency assessment specific to those procedures.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
- Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited MLS program or ABHES accredited MLT program, within the last 12 months can be used in lieu of one year full time acceptable clinical experience.
Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university in Medical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology, or a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university with 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) in biology including one semester in microbiology and 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) in chemistry including one semester in organic or biochemistry, which may be obtained within, or in addition to, the baccalaureate degree.
One of the following:
Successful completion of a 50 week U.S. military medical laboratory training course within the last ten years.
Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Scientist program.
· OR above degree requirement, MLT(ASCP)or MLT(AMT) certification and two years of full time acceptable clinical* experience in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, and urinalysis/body fluids in an acceptable laboratory within the last five years.
*Acceptable Clinical Laboratory: CMS CLIA certificate of registration, compliance, accreditation; OR JCI accreditation; OR Accreditation under ISO 15189.
- Must be eligible for ASCP or AMT Board certification consistent with scope of responsibility to include: MT, MLS, MLT, BB, SBB, C, H, M, SH, SCT, MB, SMB, SM, SC, HEW Within 2 years