Nursing Clinical Educator- Cardiac ICU
We are seeking a Clinical Educator for our Cardiac ICU at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus. As a Clinical Educator of Nursing, you will utilize system strategies and tools to assess the competency of new nursing staff members while focusing on quality of care and patient safety goals. To help achieve our mission, you will integrate theoretical knowledge, evidence-based principles and clinical nursing expertise into educational experiences for both new employees and experienced staff. Your ability to prepare annual self-development plans, set professional goals and seek opportunities for achieving them is expected. Contributing to quality and safety initiatives across the organization is of vital importance.
The Cardiac ICU is a fast-paced critical care environment that places a strong emphasis on teamwork, excellent patient care, and providing a variety of learning opportunities to support the professional growth of our team. Our high performing nursing team works in close collaboration with extensively trained medical colleagues to include a Cardiac Intensivist, Medical Intensivists, Interventionalists and Cardiologists rotating as CICU attending, and Cardiology Fellows.
Our specialty population includes but is not limited to:
- Unstable STEMI management and post PCI/PTCA recovery, serving as STEMI response for the campus
- Complex cardiac arrest and cardiogenic shock management including therapeutic hypothermia, CRRT, ECMO, Impella, and IABP therapies
- Complex advanced heart failure management, including traditional LVAD therapies, Heartmate and Heartware, as well state of the art percutaneous VAD devices (Tandem Heart)
- Complex unstable arrhythmia management, including care of complicated laser-assisted lead removal for PPM/AICD replacement, and transvenous pacemakers
- Advanced pulmonary hypertension therapies including Remodulin and Veletri
Key aspects of our unit that allow us to perform high quality care:
- State of the art monitoring devices and frequent exposure to cutting edge technologies and therapies
- Highly trained charge nurses out of staffing 24/7 in addition to a resource nurse
- A highly engaged core leadership team including nursing, medical, and pharmacy leaders who are invested in the patient care, growth of the program, and success of the team
- Medical direction by a highly skilled Cardiac Intensivist in collaboration with Fellowship Program Director, and a Medical Intensivist
- Highly trained Cardiac Clinical Specialist
- A growing Cardiology Fellow program that supports a model of 24-hour cardiology availability
- Clinical technicians who provide CNA and phlebotomy support
- A zero-tolerance policy for negativity and disrespect between team members
- A strong emphasis on professional growth and development
- Implements Inova Health System programs for staff to achieve patient care and outcome standards, such as core measures, Magnet standards and patient satisfaction.
- Utilizes system strategies and tools to assess competence of new nursing staff members while focusing on quality of care and patient safety goals.
- Plans and implements educational activities to support individual development and organizational goals.
- Informs appropriate nursing leaders when staff is unable to successfully complete, or are noncompliant with, required competencies.
- Integrates theoretical knowledge, evidence based principles and clinical nursing expertise into educational experiences for both new employees and experienced staff.
- Works with teams to synthesize data about quality and safety measures which lead to needed improvements in standards of care by developing, revising and implementing polices, procedures and protocols.
- Collaborates with clinicians to ensure practice is evidence based and identifies, reviews and applies evidence to guidelines and standards for patient care.
- Incorporates best practices and research into educational programs while analyzing quality and effectiveness of educational programs.
Education: Master’s Degree Nursing Master's Degree in Nursing, HealthCare, Education and/or other relevant field.
Years of Experience: 3 years of progressive experience in Cardiac ICU/CCU and in Nursing/Clinical Education
Certification: BLS, Specialty Certification (CCRN) in area related to unit's clinical scope within one year of hire-
Licensure: Registered Nurse
For internal use only: