Periop Support Specialist
We are currently looking for a full time Perioperative Support Specialist for our Fairfax Hospital located in Fairfax, VA.
As a Perioperative Support Specialist, you will work in a fast paced, team oriented environment assisting with patient care while retrieving and delivering requested supplies, instruments and equipment to the operating rooms as directed by the nursing staff. This individual will also be responsible for providing equipment support for operating room staff and surgeons before/during the operative procedures to avoid procedure and turnover delays. To help achieve our mission, you will communicate effectively and work cooperatively with others, having respect for and an understanding of other clinical disciplines.
- Facilitates the transferring/positioning of patients in the operating room in addition to assisting with patient surgical preparation as requested and directed by the nursing staff, safely transporting patients to and from the operating room. Participates in staff in-services and orientation to new products, equipment, instruments and processes
- Keeps equipment clean, neatly arranged, in its proper location and ready for use; placing returned and new supplies/instruments in the correct locations. Also assists with the gathering, instillation, removal and cleaning of equipment while utilizing the operating room schedule and as directed by the nursing staff.
- Prepares the operating room for cases by opening sterile supplies/instruments and maintaining awareness of aseptic technique.
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team and keeps informed of unit initiatives to support unit quality improv. Collaborates in the development and implementation of an educational plan for identified needs.
- Demonstrates responsibility for self-development and consistently exhibits role model and leadership behaviors. Acts as a resource and mentor to coworkers. Maintains and troubleshoots equipment in accordance with standard practices/guidelines.
- High School Diploma or GED
- While perioperative experience is appreciated – we are also open to entry level candidates
- Must have AED Heart Saver Certification from American Heart Association upon start
- Must have verbal and written communication skills – with a basic understanding of medical terminology and proficiency in English
- Basic computer knowledge and communication skills