Pharmacy Technician 2
Job DescriptionAs a Pharmacy Technician 2, you will procure and distribute medications per physician and Pharmacist requests or prearranged work assignments according to established policies, procedures and protocols. To help achieve our mission, you will maintain adequate stock of medications and supplies. Demonstrating proficiency in IV admixture procedures including using aseptic technique in preparation of medication, calculations, maintenance of clean areas and complete documentation is of vital importance. Taking ownership for the control, accountability and distribution of controlled drugs in the Pharmacy is required.
- Maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies according to established policies and procedures.
- Accurately pre-packs medications.
- Restocks assigned areas, puts away unused medications in addition to utilizing want book and associated inventory management procedures.
- Accurately restocks code cart and stock kits.
- Performs monthly unit inspections and monitors expiration dates. Demonstrates knowledge about and participates in department quality programs.
- Orders items, properly stocks shelves, processes returns and identifies vendor errors.
- Conducts Pharmacy runs within 30 minutes of scheduled time.
- Accurately fills automated dispensing devices.
- Accurately fills unit dose pick, first doses and floor stock.
- Accurately processes refill orders from customers.
- Performs appropriate phone etiquette.
- Accurately generates reports/input orders, generates charges/credits and reprints labels.
- Assists Pharmacist in drug selection and counting medications accurately.
- Performs basic cash register operations in outpatient Pharmacy. Demonstrates knowledge of outpatient computer operations including editing, issuing statements and running monthly reports.
- Showcases proficiency in IV Admixture procedures including using aseptic technique in preparation of medications, calculations, maintenance of clean area and complete documentation. Accurately prepares IV Admixture and sterile compounding.
- Achieves greater than 70 percent on yearly aseptic technique, chemo and calculation competencies.
- Maintains equipment including cleaning surfaces, calibration of equipment and changing hood filters.
- Documents on hood cleaning logs, temperature logs and other records as required.
- Takes ownership for the control, accountability and distribution of controlled drugs in the Pharmacy. Accurately controls medications from the vault using Secure Med or CII Safe.
- Performs physical inventories of controlled substances in the vault according to department policies.
- Ensures all documentation is complete and appropriately filed. Reconciles controlled substance kits according to procedures for all kits returned containing controlled substances.
- Accurately accounts for controlled substances dispensed during down times.
Fulltime 36 Hours Per Week with Rotating Weekends
High School or GED
1 Year Hospital Pharmacy Experience Required
1 Year IV Experience or Training Required
VA Pharmacy Tech or pharmacy intern license active upon start
certified within 6 months