Clinical Mentor - Surgical Unit and Float Pool
The Inova Fair Oaks Hospital is seeking a Registered Nurse, Clinical Mentor for the Surgical Unit and Float Pool.
Monday through Friday; 40 hours a week.
As a Clinical Mentor, you will develop expertise in training, coaching and mentoring staff through the promotion and delivery of high-quality nursing care. To help achieve our mission, you will orient, educate and develop nursing staff to ensure competence and ability to fulfill specified responsibilities. Providing support to novice and advanced nurses and preceptors to ensure a smooth transition into practice and the work environment is required. Your ability to integrate knowledge, skills and experiences to meet the clinical and social adjustment needs of all team members is of vital importance. Participating in the design, delivery and evaluation of educational programs to promote clinical development and career progression from novice to proficient nurse for new or existing clinicians is expected.
- Demonstrates ability to promote and encourage continued development of clinical preceptors by ensuring program attendance, continued professional development and remediation as needed.
- Demonstrates the value of and promotes lifelong learning and personal development by utilizing professional literature, attending continuing education programs and participating in committee work to continually develop new knowledge and skills, improve care delivery and impact nursing practices.
- Assists in the creation and delivery of educational programs to maintain and improve staff knowledge, skill development and clinical competence in support of Inova Health System goals and strategic initiatives.
- Provides feedback and consultation to nursing leadership, clinical educators and preceptors regarding the nurses progress throughout the transition to practice period (orientation, onboarding and continued support) with the goal of assisting the nurse to develop skills required by a proficient clinician.
- Monitors nurses' development through educating, mentoring and precepting phases in the classroom setting, simulation laboratory and on the assigned nursing units.
- Provides feedback to all stakeholders related to the onboarding, continuing education/training and the competency development/assessment activities of nursing staff.
- Applies principles of adult learning theories to facilitate learning and development of new knowledge, skills and critical thinking to include the following; skills related to knowledge acquisition, time management, improved clinical decision making, communication and team work.
- Identifies learning needs that are consistent with standards of specialty nursing practices, clinical pathways and nursing strategic initiatives.
- Three years progressive experience in clinical nursing/ Acute Care Services Experience serving as preceptor.
- Prefer: Experience with teaching, mentoring, and coaching nursing staff, especially new graduate and novice nurses.
- BSN Degree Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Prefer: Course work in professional development. MSN
- Prefer: Certification in specialty nursing practice in area being supported
- Licensed or eligible for licensing in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Registered Nurse
- General nursing skill sets.
- Ability to work in various clinical settings.
- Prefer:Ability to work across multiple clinical service lines
- Proficient in English.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to display a caring demeanor toward others.
- Proficient computer skills required.