Oncology New Patient Coordinator
Job DescriptionAs an Oncology New Patient Coordinator, you will assume responsibility and accountability for the intake of new patients in the Cancer Service Line by ensuring a smooth and seamless experience for patients, physicians and staff. To help achieve our mission, you will create a culture of excellence regarding patient service while displaying high levels of collaboration with Cancer Center physicians, referring physicians and their staff to provide timely/comprehensive care to patients. Promoting safety and quality by accurately performing work, evaluating/improving processes and adhering to policies and standards is required. Your ability to use multiple patient information systems with a high degree of accuracy while ensuring that there is comprehensive and retrievable information on all patients for management of the oncology program and reporting of outcomes data is of vital importance. Offering additional assistance and seeking help when needed is expected.
- Adheres to and promotes compliance with The Joint Commission and hospital safety/privacy policies and practices. Demonstrates competence in the use of Epic, Aria and other systems to schedule patient appointments, document and maintain quality data.
- Accurately enters new patient information into the Epic questionnaire such as intake date, insurance status, demographics, referring provider, consult appointments, internal/external referral source, family history, smoking history and other pertinent information.
- Serves as the first point of contact for Oncology patients entering the Cancer Center and creates a seamless model of access and coordination for all patients through the use of Lean methodologies and error reduction techniques.
- Schedules new patient visits with the interdisciplinary care team (i.e. surgery, plastics, radiation oncology, medical oncology and Life with Cancer) by using the electronic medical records or other scheduling systems.
- Obtains accurate and detailed information on each patient from multiple facilities by the scheduled appointment date such as prior medical history, financial status, release forms as well as outside records, results, films and slides.
- Responsible for the complex coordination and scheduling of diagnostic tests, procedures and physician visits.
- Works with patients and families to assess their needs and any barriers associated with obtaining cancer care while providing individualized assistance to help overcome barriers and facilitate timely access to cancer care.
- Partners with the Patient Experience team and the Oncology Patient Advocacy Group to identify and problem solve services or customer needs to improve patient/family experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
A minimum of 3 years of experience in a patient access healthcare setting or 5 years of relevant experience within a customer service or office setting. Must be with Inova for a minimum of 1 year.
Associate degree is required. In lieu of the Associates degree, a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a patient access healthcare environment or 5 years of relevant experience within a customer service or office setting.
CHAA/ CHAM within 1 year of employment.
Must have excellent computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, knowledge of medical terminology, typing and office equipment is required. Excellent prioritization, organization, and multi-tasking skills necessary. Ability to work independently and have excellent follow through. Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.