Surgical Technologist 2 Labor & Delivery
The Inova Fair Oaks Labor & Delivery unit is seeking a Surgical Technologist to support the unit on a full-time, day shift role. Our L&D unit, which has recently undergone a beautiful renovation, consists of thirteen private labor and delivery rooms, an eight-bed triage/PACU area, and three operating rooms. The types of patients range from low risk deliveries to high-risk patients with pre-existing multisystem medical and obstetrical problems.
The Surgical Technologist 2 demonstrates advanced knowledge and practice in the role of the first scrub. Demonstrates advanced knowledge of aseptic and surgical technique. Demonstrates responsible behavior as a healthcare professional. Identifies variances from expected outcomes and responds to changes in patient needs.
• Demonstrates advanced knowledge of anatomy and is able to anticipate the required instrumentation for each step of a surgical procedure.
• Expedites the operative procedure by anticipating the needs of the surgeon.
• Keeps the circulating nurse informed of upcoming patient care needs.
• Demonstrates collaboration with other team members in planning/giving patient care.
• Serves as a resource in at least 2 specialty areas/procedures.
• Performs in preceptor role for new & experienced staff in the scrub role.
• Provides working knowledge of powered instrumentation, video equipment, microscopes, and complex instrumentation, equipment.
• Assists in the evaluation of new products and equipment.
Education: High School Diploma or GED. Preferred: Completion of an accredited Surgical Technologist program.
Experience: 1 year of previous experience as a Surgical Technologist or Surgical Technician.
Certification: BLS via AHA required; Must be eligible for Surgical Technologist registration via Commonwealth of Virginia at time of hire. Registration must be completed within 6 months of hire. VA DHP Surgical Technologist Preferred: Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) via NBSTSA or Tech in Surgery – Certified (TS-C) via NCCT
Other skills: Verbal and written communication skills required. Ability to deal with multiple tasks in a rapidly changing environment. Ability to deal with multiple tasks in a rapidly changing environment.
Inova Fair Oaks Hospital is a top-ranked 182-bed acute care community hospital serving the rapidly growing suburbs of Northern Virginia. Inova Fair Oaks Hospital is committed to providing safe care, excellent service and is continuously striving to improve each patient's unique experience. That's why every patient we serve is a VIP – a Very Important Patient.