Patient Access Associate 4 - Inova Orthopedic Spine Surgical Scheduler
Job DescriptionAs a Patient Access Associate 4, you will complete work assignments within established quality standards while communicating effectively with various audiences by using the most appropriate methods for the situation. To help achieve our mission, you will counsel patients on financial liability by using available financial counseling tools to achieve maximum reimbursement for patient services. Your ability to verify and enter insurance information and authorization/referral requirements into databases while performing other assigned duties related to the admission of patients is of vital importance. Identifying, analyzing and effectively solving problems while providing excellent service by identifying customer needs and fulfilling expectations is required. Contributing to the fullest potential to achieve team goals while managing the completion of work assignments based on priority and due dates is expected.
- Encourages open communication of ideas and opinions. Coaches staff on communication methods/skills to foster effective and positive communication. Explains insurance benefits and patient liability using appropriate communication methods/styles.
- Accepts responsibility to review and correct errors before completion and route to others for review when appropriate.
- Requests and secures balance due payments from patients in accordance with established policies/procedures.
- Reviews documented insurance benefits and patient liability in appropriate system(s) to prepare for patient counseling sessions. Maintains updated authorization/referral requirements information and communicates to team members accordingly.
- Maintains knowledge of current local, state, federal and third party regulatory requirements. Facilitates pre-admission by performing tasks such as routing test results or assisting patients with billing/insurance processes.
- Educates and assists patients with the completion/submission of applications for alternative sources of payment for healthcare services including medical assistance programs, loans and grants.
- Resolves emergencies and conflicts with patients or visitors. As needed, reports safety hazards or violations and takes appropriate action to protect the environment and guests until help arrives.
- Provides appropriate assistance to and on behalf of patients demonstrating and communicating a need for assistance. Reports all near misses, accidents and occurrences for patients, visitors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
GED or High School diploma
3 year of healthcare patient access experience, or 3-year experience in healthcare revenue cycle. Must be in Inova for 1 year.
Proven proficiency in multiple Patient Access functions. Advanced communication and computer skills.
If hired or transferred into an Ambulatory setting, team member is expected to successfully complete Inova Service Excellence Training within three months of hire/transfer date.