Unit Secretary FT Night
Come be part of our team at our Inova Fairfax Medical Campus as a Unit Secretary. In this role you will perform a variety of clerical activities to support efficient department operations. You will need to provide prompt, efficient reception as well as providing secretarial support to ensure effective maintenance of confidential patient information.
- Providing clerical support through faxing, making copies of records and other information, maintaining and updating physician and lab databases, maintaining form and clerical supplies as well as ensuring maintenance of medical supplies based on par levels.
- Will attend staff and committee meetings taking minutes as requested, answering all incoming and logging outgoing calls taking accurate and complete messages, paging program personnel, other departments, etc. as needed.
- Maintains a professional and pleasant attitude with patients and co-workers. Greets patients, families and visitor as they enter the unit, providing non-clinical information, and monitor patient and visitor movements at the nursing station to facilitate prompt patient care ensuring that desk remains covered at all times.
- Provides secretarial support to ensure effective maintenance of confidential patient information in compliance with Medical Records guidelines through creation, maintenance and termination of patient charts, obtains and files test results, lab reports and treatment in charts, guaranteeing that all documents are placed in chart in preparation for transfer or discharge.
- Will transcribe physicians’ orders accurately and timely, scheduling diagnostic tests and lab work as prescribed by clinical staff, and update patients charts and maintain protected health information. Will run and distribute EPIC reports as requested and maintain patient census and status boards, logbooks and databases.
- Assist in answering call bells and communicating specific patient needs to staff. Triages and escalates patient issues to next care as appropriate and facilitate movement of patients into and out of unit, keeping Charge nurse informed.
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent experience
- A solid understanding and experience utilizing Microsoft Office tools along with written and spoken communication skills as it pertains to medical terminology
- Willingness to become CPR certified (through the American Heart Association) within 3 months from date of hire.