Registered Nurse Fellow - Critical Care Intermediate Care Unit - Nights
The Leadership, Physicians and Staff of Inova Loudoun Hospital Have Adopted a "Quality Compact" with Its Community
Inova Loudoun Hospital believes that excellent healthcare begins with accountability to our community. To be an accountable organization, with ongoing guidance and leadership from our board, we have taken the following actions that have been proven to positively influence hospital quality and safety performance. We will continue to share the results of our progress with the communities we serve.
- Monitor ongoing performance against the following groups of quality and safety measures:
- Patient infections
- National Hospital Quality of Care indicators
- Patients' satisfaction with their care
- Unplanned readmissions to the hospital
- Set aggressive goals for performance improvement and maintain focus on achieving them
- Ensure that our organization's quality and safety performance continues to measurably improve over time.
This 14-bed medical/surgical Intermediate Care Unit (IMCU) is part of the Critical Care Division here at Inova Loudoun specializing in stabilization of critically ill patients requiring a high degree of support and management. IMC cares for a diverse adult population with varied diagnoses and medical conditions, including but not limited to, respiratory failure requiring Bipap/high flow/aggressive diuresis, chronic ventilator management, acute and chronic advanced heart failure, invasive hemodynamic monitoring, DKA, maxillofacial surgeries, and traumas. The key characteristics of our unit include spacious, private patient care rooms, nurse to patient ratios of 1:3 on both day and night shift, 2 clinical technicians each shift, a charge nurse out of staffing, and a designated unit secretary on day and night shift.
Our unit prides itself on a team approach to patient care in concert with Inova’s Mission, Vision, and Values. We have 1 to 2 providers available on the unit 24/7 with tele-ICU support available through state-of-the-art monitors in all the rooms. Our clinical mentor works with each onboarding team member to individualize an education plan specific to each person’s unique needs. Our Unit Based Council and Clinical Specialist actively look for opportunities to drive improved patient outcomes and team member satisfaction through education and initiatives on the unit. IMC provides consistent training and education to ensure robust support of current and onboarding team members.
Shift: FT (3 12 hour shifts), Nights
We are offering a Sign On Bonus of up to $20k as well as a Relocation Bonus for eligible nurses!
As a Registered Nurse (RN) Fellow, you will communicate effectively with patients, families, team members and medical providers. To help achieve our mission, you will create a collaborative team working environment while displaying respect for and an understanding of various clinical disciplines.Using a focused and integrated approach toward improving desired patient outcomes and patient experience of care delivery is of vital importance.Your participation in learning new knowledge, developing new skills and meeting program objectives to be able to practice in assigned patient care delivery settings while utilizing and applying new knowledge is essential. Demonstrating s willingness to learn under the direct supervision of an experienced RN and through various other training formats is required.
- Effectively communicates with other healthcare team members and participates in multidisciplinary rounds and meetings as an active member of the healthcare team.
- Showcases openness to feedback, mentoring and suggestions from colleagues to implement change and enhance care.
- Identifies and seeks out members of the healthcare team as a resource to increase practice/knowledge while seeking validation of clinical decisions from unit resources.
- Successfully integrates novice nursing abilities with new knowledge and the capacity to incorporate and transfer these skills into the delivery of safe/high quality patient care.
- Identifies unit goals and supports the culture of Inova Health System.
- Demonstrates a willingness to give 100 percent and voluntarily assists others when needs arise.
- Works efficiently within the healthcare team to achieve maximum productivity and identified outcomes.
- Attends and participates in all learning sessions assigned for successful completion of the Registered Nurse (RN) Fellowship. Completes all assignments (e.g. classroom work, computer based learning modules, laboratory simulations and assigned readings on time and is able to recall, comprehend and apply them in the classroom and clinical settings).
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn new skills, verbalize reasoning and demonstrate use of equipment and supplies involved in providing safe/high quality and effective patient care.
- Performs patient assessments to collect basic data. Follows written plans of care, standards and practice guidelines while utilizing pathways under the supervision of an experienced RN.
- Utilizes assessment data and patient preferences to identify patient care needs.
- Organizes, prioritizes and delivers patient care to assigned patients by utilizing Inova's Nursing Professional Practice Model and Care Delivery Model (i.e. procedures, therapies, tests and patient education) to achieve desired outcomes.
- Provides compassionate and empathetic hands on care while maintaining patient privacy and confidentiality.
- States rationale for clinical decisions based on educational knowledge, principles and evidence based practices.
- Monitors patients' progress toward expected outcomes and adjusts plans of care accordingly.
- Accurately documents all patient care activities, as per documentation standards, and seeks assistance from others to further develop documentation skills.
- At least 6 month of RN clinical experience, preferably in a Critical Care setting
- Education: BSN or MSN. If Associates Degree RN, within 6 months of start date meet with nurse leader:
- Identify which Accredited School the employee plans to attend
- Submit a review of transcript from the school indicating the required pre-requisites and timeline for taking the courses
- Provide a written plan with anticipated BSN completion date
- Complete BSN within 24 months of start date
- BLS for Healthcare Provider Certification (American Heart Association) required
- RN licensed, or eligible to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a RN
- Proficient in English, strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skill and the ability to display a caring demeanor towards others
- Proficient computer skills required