Unit Secretary - Mount Vernon
Inova is Northern Virginia’s leading nonprofit healthcare provider. Our mission is to provide world-class healthcare – every time, every touch – to each person in every community we have the privilege to serve. Inova’s 18,000 team members serve more than 2 million individuals annually through an integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
Safety Always: Learn how we keep our team members and patients Safe@Inova.
Looking for your next adventure or job advancement in the organization known for high quality patient care & comprehensive employee benefits & perks? – apply to the Unit Secretary role at Mount Vernon.
The Unit Secretary performs a variety of clerical activities to support efficient department operations. Provides prompt, efficient reception support for the unit. Provides secretarial support to ensure effective maintenance of confidential patient information.
- Performs a variety of clerical activities to support efficient department operations.
- Copies records and other information as needed.
- Maintains and updates physician and lab databases.
- Maintains forms and clerical supplies, and ensures maintenance of medical supplies based on par levels.
- Attends staff and committee meetings and takes minutes as requested.
- Prepares unit charges as appropriate for specific unit needs.
- Completes unit specific work (checklists, standard work).
- Copies and faxes records and other information as needed.
- Update patient charts in GECE/IDXwith the time of discharge and moves them to EDDIS in a timely manner.
- Answers incoming and logs all outgoing calls daily. Provides prompt, efficient reception support for the unit. Takes accurate and complete messages. Answers and places telephone calls using standard formal facility etiquette. Pages program personnel, other departments, and physicians, as needed.
- Assists in answering call bells and communicating specific patient needs to staff. Triages and escalates patient issues to next care provider if time exceeds 5 minutes or sooner as appropriate.
- Facilitates the movement of patients into and out of unit and keeps the Charge nurse informed of patients to be admitted or transferred. Coordinates with nurses, patient transport and admission personnel regarding admissions and transfers.
- Monitors patient and visitor movements at the nursing station and provide information to facilitate prompt patient care. Ensures that the desk remains covered at all times.
- Maintains a professional and pleasant attitude with patients and co-workers. Greets patients, families and visitor as they enter the unit. Provides non-clinical information (e.g. directions to a department, location of a patient's room, identification of assigned nurse) to patients, family members, visitors, staff, and physicians.
- Schedules diagnostic tests and lab work as prescribed by nursing and medical staff.
- Provides secretarial support to ensure effective maintenance of confidential patient information. Creates, maintains, and terminates patient charts in compliance with Medical Records guidelines. Ensures the integrity of the medical record, including patient identification on all chart forms. Obtains and files test results, lab reports and treatment in charts.
- Guarantees that all chart documents are placed in the chart in preparation for transfer or discharge. Returns old medical records to Medical Record Department at discharge. Scans, fax and/or sends patient documents to Medical Records in a timely and accurate manner. Maintains chart forms in correct placement in the chart behind the correct chart tab. Sends thinned charts to new unit upon transfer or to Medical Records upon discharge.
- Transcribes physicians' orders accurately and in a timely manner.
- Generates and maintains tools necessary for patient care (Kardex, MAR, Treatment sheets, Admission Order Forms, Progress Notes, Consult Sheets).
- Maintains patient census and status boards, log books, and computer databases, ensuring that date and records are current and accurate.
- Maintains protected health information by accessing only information pertinent to performing job duties.
- Runs and distributes EPIC reports as requested by leader.
- Maintains admission, telephone log books, and computer databases, ensuring that date and records are current, accurate and legible.
- Other duties as assigned.
Written and spoken use of medical terminology
WHAT’S YOUR VISION OF THE PERFECT WORK ENVIRONMENT?
You’ll find it at Inova.
Company Benefits and Perks:
At Inova, we strive to improve the health of the communities we serve, and that includes taking care of our team members, who help us fulfill our mission every day. That’s why we offer affordable, comprehensive benefits coverage for you and your family.
As a member of the Inova team, we encourage you to tailor your benefits to suit your needs. Join us and see how easy Inova makes it for you to perform at your very best at work, and live life to the fullest when you're done for the day.
- Dental, Vision, Medical Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Spending Accounts
- Student Loan Refinancing
- Additional Benefits
- Retirement Benefits
- Educational Assistance
- Bright Horizons Back-Up Child Care
- Life and Disability Insurance
Learn more about Inova Health System!