Surgical Technologist 2 Labor & Delivery PT
The Labor and Delivery Unit at Inova Alexandria Hospital is supported by 3 ORs, a 13-bed unit, 4 PACU beds, and 4 Clinical Decision beds. Approximately, 3,600 deliveries take place each year, including deliveries for high-risk obstetric patients. In our Clinical Decision Unit (Labor and Delivery Triage), we can care for as many as 450 patients a month. The L&D Unit delivers approximately 10 to 15 babies each day. We are looking for a part time Surgical Technologist to support our weekday and weekend nights.
The Surgical Technologist 2 demonstrates advanced knowledge and practice in the role of the first scrub. Demonstrates advanced knowledge of aseptic and surgical technique. Demonstrates responsible behavior as a healthcare professional. Identifies variances from expected outcomes and responds to changes in patient needs.
• Demonstrates advanced knowledge of anatomy and is able to anticipate the required instrumentation for each step of a surgical procedure.
• Expedites the operative procedure by anticipating the needs of the surgeon.
• Keeps the circulating nurse informed of upcoming patient care needs.
• Demonstrates collaboration with other team members in planning/giving patient care.
• Serves as a resource in at least 2 specialty areas/procedures.
• Performs in preceptor role for new & experienced staff in the scrub role.
• Provides working knowledge of powered instrumentation, video equipment, microscopes, and complex instrumentation, equipment.
• Assists in the evaluation of new products and equipment.
Education: High School Diploma or GED. Preferred: Completion of an accredited Surgical Technologist program.
Experience: 1 year of previous experience as a Surgical Technologist or Surgical Technician.
Certification: BLS via AHA required; Must be eligible for Surgical Technologist registration via Commonwealth of Virginia at time of hire. Registration must be completed within 6 months of hire. VA DHP Surgical Technologist Preferred: Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) via NBSTSA or Tech in Surgery – Certified (TS-C) via NCCT
Other skills: Verbal and written communication skills required. Ability to deal with multiple tasks in a rapidly changing environment. Ability to deal with multiple tasks in a rapidly changing environment.