Vital Stats Registrar
Job DescriptionAs a Vital Statistics Registrar you follow all laws set forth by the State pertaining to the filing of birth and fetal death certificates. You will be responsible for the processing and validation of all birth certificate information ensuring 100% accuracy. You will interact with patients, families and nursing staff in the performance of these duties. You will provide information regarding paternity rights and responsibilities and when required complete the Acknowledgement of Paternity documents. You will enter all information into the State data bases. It is vital that all Birth certificates will be processed before the patient leaves the hospital and submitted to the State within 7 days. Timely filing of fetal demise certificates is required so funeral homes can proceed with the family’s wishes.
- Provides patients with information regarding the filing of their baby’s birth certificate, obtaining certified copies of birth certificate and/or social security card.
- Obtains required birth reporting information from the patient, worksheet and/or Electronic Medical Records (EMR), verify information.
- Obtains father's information if paternity test requested.
- Enters information into the State’s VVSETS data base, print the birth certificate, proof of birth letter and application for certified birth certificate.
- Provides counseling and written information regarding paternity rights and responsibilities.
- Completes the Acknowledgement of Paternity (if required).
- Reviews the birth certificate thoroughly and obtains signatures and the application for a certified birth certificate. Provide proof of birth letter.
- Verifies proper ID for Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP), obtain signatures and notarize.
- Obtains check or money order to accompany request for certificate birth certificate.
- Prepares transmittal report to mail to State with birth certificates.
- Faxes Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) to State Paternity program.
- Obtains hospital certification signature on certificates and mail complete package to State.
- Provides copy of worksheet and proof of birth letter to Health Information Management (HIM) for inclusion in the patient’s medical record
- Utilizes the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) fetal demise report, determines appropriate cases for reporting.
- Collects required information from Electronic Medical Records (EMR) and enters into the State’s data base, and follows proper procedure
- Prepares the fetal death report and submits to the State by the 10th of the following month.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School or GED
One year of relevant experience.
Eligible for certification as a notary public; Must obtain certification within 3 months.
-Demonstrated communication skills
-Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
-Essential excellent interpersonal skills and strong customer service skills both verbally and in writing
-Requires the ability to work independently and as part of a team
-Handles highly confidential information with the highest level of discretion.
-Critical thinking skills and strong attention to detail is required
-Knowledge of medical terminology
-Ability to handle sensitive and/or emotional situations