Assistant Privacy Officer
Job DescriptionAs an Assistant Privacy Officer, you will assist the Chief Privacy Officer in completing portions of the annual work plan, periodic compliance/privacy risk assessments and conduct ongoing privacy monitoring activities to ensure compliance with applicable laws and policies. Supporting the Chief Privacy Officer in ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance and adherence to Inova Health System's HIPAA Privacy Policies/Procedures is required. Your ability to direct technical and regulatory guidance while assisting in the identification, implementation and maintenance of Inova's regulatory compliance, information privacy policies/procedures, consent/authorization forms and information notices/materials to ensure compliance with federal and state laws is of vital importance to your success. To help achieve our mission, you will participate in the development of privacy training materials and targeted training sessions for all employees, volunteers and applicable third parties to ensure appropriate orientation and understanding of applicable requirements.
- Follows established processes and assists in oversight of a mechanism to monitor access to protected health information (PHI) as required by law and ensures that access information is regularly reported to appropriate individuals.
- Performs compliance risk assessments at Inova Health System locations to identify risks to PHI and barriers to HIPAA compliance.
- Recommends and tracks mitigation and remediation activities based on risk assessment findings and observations.
- Follows established workflow for receiving, documenting, tracking, investigating and resolving all privacy related hotline calls, reported complaints and potential violations concerning Inova's privacy policies and procedures in coordination with appropriate other functions.
- Completes elements of Inova Board Committee reports including privacy log and other requested documents.
- Performs compliance risk assessments around Inova to ensure the compliance work plan appropriately responds to perceived weaknesses and risks – especially in the privacy area.
- Performs required breach risk assessments, documentation, mitigation and notification activities per HIPAA. Assists with Inova's response to actions from Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights, state regulators and/or other legal entities for privacy related audits, investigations or reviews.
- Assists the Chief Privacy Officer in developing written compliance policies and procedures.
- Serves as an information privacy liaison and consultant for all facilities and departments of Inova, and appropriate outside organizations, to ensure effective implementation and applications of laws, standards and Inova policy.
- Works with operating units to respond to patient requests for amendment to medical records.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in a healthcare related field
Experience in healthcare records management, privacy and confidentiality, and data security
Certified Healthcare Compliance
Certification in records management or certified in healthcare compliance
Possesses a basic understanding of healthcare compliance and HIPAA requirements.