Lab Technical Assistant 2 PSC PRN
Inova Laboratory is seeking a PRN Lab Technician Assistant 2 PSC to join the team. This position is on call. locations and hours will vary depending on the departments needs.
Inova Benefits and Perks:
- Health, Vision, and Dental Coverage
- Life Insurance, Short/Long Term Disability
- NEW! 4 weeks PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
- Retirement: Inova matches dollar for dollar the first 5% of your eligible pay that you contribute to the plan
- Competitive salary: Pay based experience
- Amazing Paid Time Off: Accrue PTO hours on your very first day of work
- Supplemental Plans: Including Auto/Home Insurance discounts, Pet Insurance, Identity Theft Protection
- Additional Benefits: Educational Assistance of up to $5,250/year, Student Loan Refinancing, Adoption Assistance, Child Care Centers, Scholarship Program, Free Parking, Exclusive savings opportunities to in-store events, theme parks, discounts, movie tickets and local offerings and so much more!
See Full List of Benefits Here: 2022 INOVA BENEFITS GUIDE
Requirements for consideration:
- High School diploma, GED, or documented foreign equivalent.
- 2 years of experience in a Patient Service Center environment or at least 6 months in an Inova PSC.
- This requirement can also be met by successfully completing the Inova Phlebotomy School.
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Completion of Phlebotomy training required; completion certificate from a Phlebotomy program or another Allied Health training program, such as Medical Assistant, MLT or MT.
- Demonstrates understanding of and performs all procedures for obtaining, preparing, and packaging of specimens for transport. Evaluates specimen for acceptability per policy (volume, labeling, proper documentation for QA).
- Provides correct containers to patients with preservatives, when needed, as well as instructions for return of samples. Verifies collection technique, total volume, and correct.
- Assists the department in problem resolution.
- Serves as a cooperative member of the PSC staff fostering relationships and trust between Inova laboratories and client physicians, administrators, staff and patients. Demonstrates clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintains clean, orderly and well-stocked department and notifies appropriate personnel of shortages. Completes necessary documentation accurately each shift.
- Performs other duties as assigned by peer work team and direct supervisor.
- Participates in continuing educational requirements by attending meetings, responding to instructional e-mail, etc. Attends 75% of all department meetings and reads minutes of 100% of staff meetings and communications. Completes Inova educational requirements by deadline. Completes annual skills review.
- Participates actively in the quality improvement initiatives.
- Reads and responds to e-mail within one business day.
- Uses time to departmental advantage; is flexible, adapts, multitasks.
- Restricts use of personal devices and inappropriate use of Inova computers or telephones per Inova Policy.
- Handles specimens collected by special procedure properly per facility policy (Irretrievable specimens, pathology specimens, 24 hour urine, cultures, chain of custody collections, Newborn Screens etc.).
- Obtains all proper documentation to establish correct patient identity. Performs patient registration/billing/test order procedures accurately and efficiently to ensure correct testing, reporting, billing and regulatory compliance. Accurately enters patient demographics, billing information, and test orders according to written physician order and information from customer insurance cards.
- Reviews insurance and tests requested, identifies Medicare patients and obtains medical necessity when appropriate. Takes appropriate action when diagnosis code is missing/fails and collects an ABN when appropriate.
- Provides excellent patient and customer service by using AIDET principles and assuring the correctness and quality of technical information and directions provided to customers is appropriate.
- Demonstrates organizational skills by prioritizing collection requests and managing patient draw order to minimize patient wait time while ensuring accuracy and integrity of specimens.
- Correctly identifies every patient according to Inova Patient Safety Policy for identifiers and methods. Compares and validates specimen labels and/or requisitions to patient identifiers prior to collection. Properly labels specimens attaching the correctly identified labels to the correct tube/collection containers after collection.
- Demonstrates proper technique to provide standard of care. This includes proper preparation (site selection and order of draw) proper technique, following standard precautions and proper disposal of supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.