Respiratory Therapist 2
Job DescriptionAs a Respiratory Therapist 2, you will administer basic/advanced respiratory care therapeutics and diagnostic services with skill and proficiency. To help achieve our mission, you will routinely integrate knowledge, skills and experience to promote optimum patient care. Your ability to assume responsibility for self-development through continuing education pathways is expected. Utilizing standards, guidelines, protocols and pathways for optimal care delivery is of vital importance. Incorporating data and information to continually improve care and practice to enhance outcomes is required. Working effectively and appropriately communicating with other healthcare team members, patients and families is essential.
- Routinely completes work assignments with minimal assistance.
- Consistently meets established productivity standards.
- Consistently performs basic clinical assessments of the cardiopulmonary system with a high degree of accuracy. Occasionally performs thorough/advanced cardiopulmonary clinical assessments with appropriate inclusion of other systems (e.g. cardiovascular, nutritional, neurologic, etc.).
- Administers advanced respiratory therapeutic interventions (e.g., heliox, nitric oxide, CNB, Chest Wall Oscillation, etc.) with moderate proficiency and occasional supervision.
- Establishes and manages basic mechanical ventilation with most commonly used ventilators with high proficiency and minimal to no supervision. Uses complex forms of mechanical ventilation (e.g., HFO, NPPV, PRVC, transport) with moderate proficiency and occasional supervision.
- Performs weaning mechanics as ordered with high proficiency in more than 90 percent of ventilator patients cared for.
- Reviews the need for continuing ventilator support (i.e. spontaneous breathing trial, weaning) in more than 90 percent of patients cared for with high degree of proficiency on a daily basis. Routinely develops or refines ventilator care plans and communicates to the patient care team.
- Routinely formulates a plan of care for most patients based on patient diagnostics data, response to therapy and physiologic profiles. Ensures that therapeutic plans are sound and consistent with the departmental standards of care.
- Establishes and recommends therapeutic interventions (e.g. contacting physician or care team) with moderate proficiency and occasional supervision.
- Uses effective time management in work organization and triaging.
- Collects specimens and performs basic diagnostic testing with moderate proficiency and minimal supervision.
- Successfully completes at least 12 continuing education units, as well as 12 non-mandatory continuing education units, and provides documented evidence to the department for the evaluation year. Successfully completes all departmental, hospital and system competencies required for job category within designated timeframes.
- Supports the advancement of the respiratory care profession by participating in one system, hospital, department or professional initiative.
- Applies departmental protocols and clinical practice guidelines with high frequency, precision and compliance when indicated and does so with minimal supervision. Routinely applies new techniques and procedures with high proficiency within 30 days of training/orientation.
- Meets Clinical Ladder criteria by meeting the core requirements. Routinely records data for the quality improvement process with the department (i.e. SBT screening, ARDS/ALI screening, PDP bronchodilator assessment). Documents more than 95 percent of care provided with a high degree of accuracy in 95 percent of the patients cared for. Documents according to protocols and/or charting templates.
- Provides educational training to patients and/or family members as appropriate (e.g. assesses patients' learning style and barriers to learning) and knows how to make appropriate modifications with high proficiency and minimal supervision.
- Consistently communicates accurate therapeutic and patient information with healthcare team members on care plans and does so in a manner consistent with Inova Health System standards.
- Actively seeks ways to assist other members of the healthcare team. Has no more than one substantiated complaint form staff/co-workers during the evaluation year. Takes an active and positive role in the training, education and orientation of team members and students within departmental guidelines.
Fulltime 36 Hours Day shift
Graduate of an accredited CoARC (The Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care) respiratory care program.
or more years of specialized training in advanced diagnostics/pulmonary rehabilitation as a practicing Respiratory Therapist.
Registered Respiratory Therapist or more than 10 years of experience as a Certified Respiratory Therapist as defined by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC).
Advanced Certifications (ACLS, PALS or NRP) or must obtain within one year from date or hire.
BLS from AHA upon start
Licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Respiratory Therapist.
Training in advanced bronchial pulmonary hygiene therapies and modalities. familiarity with blood collection techniques (i.e Aterial/Capillary Puncture). Proficient in English.