Vice President, Information Technology, Clinical Systems
Reporting to the EVP, Chief Information Officer, Inova is seeking a Vice President (VP), Information Technology (IT) Clinical Systems, responsible for delivering best-in-class care experiences for both our providers and its patients. A key member of the IT leadership team, the VP will be key to advancing and ensuring the success of our clinical transformation journey. Leading a team of 100+ individuals, the VP will be an essential leader in driving clinical information technology strategies that allow Inova to maintain its exceptional quality of care and to improve patient outcomes. The VP, IT Clinical Systems will ensure high quality patient-provider interactions with clinical healthcare IT infrastructure implementations across the system. Additionally, this position will maintain effective and responsive relationships with patients, attending medical staff, and other departments.
This role is based in Fairfax, VA. Relocation to the Fairfax, VA area is required.
The VP will be charged with the following initiatives:
- Continue ongoing productivity and patient access upgrades, improvements, and optimization surrounding self-scheduling, patient flow, transfers, and discharge.
- Lead and collaborate on key Epic module installs including Cupid (2023), Wound Care (2023), Behavioral Health (2023) and Beaker (2024).
- Play a mission critical role in the strategy, planning, and rollout of clinical applications for Inova’s Eastern Market expansion – two new, state of the art hospitals opening in 2026-2027.
- Craft, refine, and operationalize Inova Health System’s clinical operations and care delivery strategy ensuring coherence and seamlessness in a user's experience.
- Drive continuous improvements that enable Inova Health System to scale efficiently and effectively deploying best practices that leverage clinical technology to drive automation, speed, and quality.
- Partner with Inova Health System executive leadership to create annual strategic roadmaps, iteratively defining KPIs and dashboards to monitor and assess performance
- Partner with clinical research and product functions and evolve internal and external processes and SLAs for clinical activities, to optimize Inova Health System’s patient care model in order to drive patient outcomes and to achieve strong clinical ROI for all user experiences.
The VP will have a broad set of responsibilities that will encompass the following:
- Partners with the CIO and Technology Vice Presidents to create and manage divisional annual operating budgets, annual capital plans and projects, application elements of projects, ongoing service levels, and software maintenance and updates.
- Manages inpatient clinical software and applications planning and deployment for the enterprise. Uses and improves existing applications assessment and 5-year planning process.
- Engages and negotiates with Inova’s executives and directors to develop appropriate application needs, capacity plans, and technology investment strategies.
- Oversees the development of enterprise standards, technology evaluation and the IT governance process.
- Assesses, evaluates, tests, and selects new and emerging clinical software and applications to support the needs of the enterprise.
- Stays current on new technologies and platforms.
- Serves as an internal consultant, providing top-level guidance on the most complex technical projects/initiatives.
- Sets standards and ensures repeatable process across the clinical technologies landscape.
- Actively understands relevant legal, legislative, and policy issues as it relates to technology services.
- Lead EpicCare and/or IT system implementations across the system and consultation with various business partners.
- Leads the planning and project management for the migration and replacement of inpatient clinical applications, software and operating systems. Leads the development and maintenance of performance metrics, workforce planning and resource allocation.
- Establishes and maintains collaborate, supportive, open and professional working relationships with a variety of executives, management and team members. Work in concert with Vice President, Ambulatory Applications on all clinical software strategy, optimization, upgrades, builds, and operational excellence.
- Recruits, develops, coaches, motivates and leads a team of associates and contractors to the highest levels of engagement and performance.
- Develops and manages operating expense budgets and capital budgets.
- Creates a climate of empowerment and trust for reporting team members as well as foster a culture of teamwork across all areas of information technology.
- Represents Inova professionally and positively in both formal and informal settings.
- Maintains current knowledge of HIPAA, privacy and confidentiality and FDA standards to ensure Inova’s clinical technologies are compliant.
- Bachelor’s Degree in information technology or related field required.
- Master’s Degree in information technology or related field preferred.
- Minimum 10-15 years of IT management experience and 5 years in a senior IT management position.
- Prior experience working in a complex, large scale, matrix health system required.
- In depth knowledge of clinical operations and clinical applications at scale required.
- Prior experience implementing and transforming large scale, integrated software solutions/clinical healthcare IT infrastructure preferred.
- Prior experience leading large, multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively across organizations, lead change management efforts and increase operational excellence.
- Proven record of meeting deadlines, being proactive and demonstrating critical thinking and project management skills.
- Demonstrates an adaptive mindset with record of achieving successful outcomes in a changing, ambiguous, matrix environment.
- Ability to lead, manage and develop teams at scale.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel to various sites within Northern Virginia.
About Inova Health System
Inova is Northern Virginia’s leading nonprofit healthcare provider. Our mission is to provide world-class healthcare – every time, every touch – to each person in every community we have the privilege to serve. Inova’s 20,000 team members serve more than 2 million individuals annually through an integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
Inova’s five hospitals are consistently recognized by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals and Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades for excellence in healthcare.
Inova is home to Northern Virginia’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Level 4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Its hospitals have a total of 1,936 licensed beds. More information and statistics about Inova can be found at www.inova.org.