Job DescriptionAs a Nurse Extern, under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN), you will deliver basic nursing care and monitoring in accordance with completed competencies and unit needs. To help achieve our mission, you will identify your own learning needs and seek opportunities to enhance your practice knowledge base. Familiarizing yourself with the quality process and participating in quality improvement initiatives as directed by the RN is of vital importance. Communicating effectively and working cooperatively with others while assisting the healthcare team to achieve desired patient and unit outcomes is required. Collaborating with the healthcare team to implement the plan of care is expected.
- Collaborates with the Registered Nurse (RN) on the plan of care for patient assignments. Provides basic nursing care which is deemed competent under the direction and supervision of the RN.
- Assists with unit needs to improve patient flow and unit outcomes while working with the team to achieve maximum productivity.
- Assist RN and other members of the healthcare team in gathering basic monitoring data and specimen collection. Observes and reports any patient symptoms and/or change in patient conditions to the appropriate RN.
- Evaluates and maintains the environment to promote patient and healthcare team safety.
- Documents all patient care activities on assigned patients in accordance with documentation standards. Assist with treatments and procedures under the direction and supervision of the RN.
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Attends simulation exercises as assigned.
- Completes extern training, skill competency checklist and simulation labs. Effectively communicates with the healthcare team members, patients and families.
• Currently enrolled in a nursing degree program
• Minimum GPA of 3.0
• Successful completion of one acute care clinical rotation
• Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification through AHA
• Proficient in English verbal and written communication
• Must provide one faculty letter of recommendation