Lab Tech Assistant 2 PSC
Inova is Northern Virginia’s leading nonprofit healthcare provider. Our mission is to provide world-class healthcare – every time, every touch – to each person in every community we have the privilege to serve. Inova’s 18,000 team members serve more than 2 million individuals annually through an integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
Safety Always: Learn how we keep our team members and patients Safe@Inova.
Looking for your next adventure or job advancement in the organization known for high quality patient care & comprehensive employee benefits & perks? – apply to the Lab Tech Asst role at Peds Clinic at Willow Oaks.
The Lab Tech Assistant 2 PSC accurately manages specimen preparation steps, storage, and packaging for transport of specimens according to Lab protocols preserving specimen integrity and quality that effects laboratory testing. Communicates effectively and works cooperatively with others (Inova coworkers; physicians, physician office administration and staff; care facility staff and leadership, government facility staff and leaders) to optimize job performance and foster working relationships. Performs patient registration/billing/test order procedures accurately and efficiently to ensure correct testing, reporting, billing and regulatory compliance. This role performs proper and timely specimen collection and accurately labels all specimens according to Inova policy. Provides excellent patient and customer service by using AIDET principles and assuring the correctness and quality of technical information and directions provided to customers is appropriate, and performs proper and timely specimen collection by confirming patient, collecting specimens in proper tubes, utilizing venipuncture/capillary techniques, and accurately labeling the specimens to ensure accurate patient results.
- Demonstrates understanding of and performs all procedures for obtaining, preparing, and packaging of specimens for transport. Evaluates specimen for acceptability per policy (volume, labeling, proper documentation for QA).
- Provides correct containers to patients with preservatives, when needed, as well as instructions for return of samples. Verifies collection technique, total volume, and correct.
- Assists the department in problem resolution.
- Serves as a cooperative member of the PSC staff fostering relationships and trust between Inova laboratories and client physicians, administrators, staff and patients. Demonstrates clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintains clean, orderly and well-stocked department and notifies appropriate personnel of shortages. Completes necessary documentation accurately each shift.
- Performs other duties as assigned by peer work team and direct supervisor.
- Participates in continuing educational requirements by attending meetings, responding to instructional e-mail, etc. Attends 75% of all department meetings and reads minutes of 100% of staff meetings and communications. Completes Inova educational requirements by deadline. Completes annual skills review.
- Participates actively in the quality improvement initiatives.
- Reads and responds to e-mail within one business day.
- Uses time to departmental advantage; is flexible, adapts, multitasks.
- Restricts use of personal devices and inappropriate use of Inova computers or telephones per Inova Policy.
- Handles specimens collected by special procedure properly per facility policy (Irretrievable specimens, pathology specimens, 24 hour urine, cultures, chain of custody collections, Newborn Screens etc.).
- Obtains all proper documentation to establish correct patient identity. Performs patient registration/billing/test order procedures accurately and efficiently to ensure correct testing, reporting, billing and regulatory compliance. Accurately enters patient demographics, billing information, and test orders according to written physician order and information from customer insurance cards.
- Reviews insurance and tests requested, identifies Medicare patients and obtains medical necessity when appropriate. Takes appropriate action when diagnosis code is missing/fails and collects an ABN when appropriate.
- Provides excellent patient and customer service by using AIDET principles and assuring the correctness and quality of technical information and directions provided to customers is appropriate.
- Demonstrates organizational skills by prioritizing collection requests and managing patient draw order to minimize patient wait time while ensuring accuracy and integrity of specimens.
- Correctly identifies every patient according to Inova Patient Safety Policy for identifiers and methods. Compares and validates specimen labels and/or requisitions to patient identifiers prior to collection. Properly labels specimens attaching the correctly identified labels to the correct tube/collection containers after collection.
- Demonstrates proper technique to provide standard of care. This includes proper preparation (site selection and order of draw) proper technique, following standard precautions and proper disposal of supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
-High School Diploma or GED
-Completion of Phlebotomy training required; completion certificate from a Phlebotomy program or another Allied Health training program, such as Medical Assistant, MLT or MT.
WHAT’S YOUR VISION OF THE PERFECT WORK ENVIRONMENT?
You’ll find it at Inova.
Company Benefits and Perks:
At Inova, we strive to improve the health of the communities we serve, and that includes taking care of our team members, who help us fulfill our mission every day. That’s why we offer affordable, comprehensive benefits coverage for you and your family.
As a member of the Inova team, we encourage you to tailor your benefits to suit your needs. Join us and see how easy Inova makes it for you to perform at your very best at work, and live life to the fullest when you're done for the day.
- Dental, Vision, Medical Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Spending Accounts
- Student Loan Refinancing
- Additional Benefits
- Retirement Benefits
- Educational Assistance
- Bright Horizons Back-Up Child Care
- Life and Disability Insurance
Learn more about Inova Health System!