Back to Results
Maternal Fetal Medicine Sonographer Specialty
Alexandria Hospital 622432 Full Time 4320 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA, 22304, USApply
Job DescriptionAs a Sonographer, you will provide clinical services according to ultrasound practice standards and act as a resource to students, residents, fellows and other technologists to ensure optimal department functions. To help achieve our mission, you will administer sound patient care practices according to hospital and department policies and procedures to ensure the safety of patients. Your ability to complete ancillary tasks to ensure efficient and consistent departmental operations is essential. Demonstrating safety for patients, staff and self as outlined in department protocols and regulatory guidelines is of vital importance. Maintaining equipment, exam rooms and work areas in a neat and safe condition is required.
- Communicates effectively with patient to obtain clinical maternal fetal history/informed consent from patient or patient's chart to assist the physician in optimizing the performance and interpretation of the examination, as evidenced by the exam results.
- Explains procedure to patients/families and answers any questions to ease anxiety and assure patient cooperation, as evidenced by customer satisfaction. Assists the physicians in performing TEE, Amniocentesis, and AV optimization studies using departmental protocols to provide optimum results.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper sterile techniques and isolation precautions as they pertain to the various specialty procedures.
- Demonstrates the ability to recognize clinical and/pr emergent problems in the maternal fetal patients that may interfere with exams and take appropriate action to resolve them and produce the most desirable outcome, as evidenced by exam results and patient satisfaction. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of IV's heparin locks and central line usage as they pertain to Sonography, as evidenced by observations by supervisor and peers.
- Correctly identifies patients and their files ensuring a high degree of accuracy, as evidenced by the lack of mislabeled films and files.
- Tracks patients according to department procedures. Identifies errors and takes immediate action for corrections.
- Participates in department/hospital performance improvement initiatives, in-services and meetings, as evidenced by attendance records.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of specialized fetal anatomy, pathology and physiology as well as the systemic effect of other systems Utilizes fetal anatomical knowledge to position patients to optimize image quality during examination while still providing for patient comfort and safety
- Demonstrates the critical thinking skills as well as the ability to enhance the procedure with additional modalities and views based on identified disease processes and fetal anomalies Independently utilizes analytical abilities to determine the selection of images that are presented to the physician for interpretation
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately measure maternal fetal area structures and pathology to further determine the direction of the exam and identify fetal anomalies
- Records all data, images and technical notes that provide the preliminary report to facilitate the physician's ability to interpret the information
- Graduate of an accredited diagnostic ultrasound school with a specialty of five plus years on the job training in a hospital performing specialized sonograms
- Three years of hospital or doctor's office based experience in the performance of specialized maternal fetal sonography detecting fetal anomalies
- BLS and NT Certification (If not NT Certified, it must be obtained within 6 months)
- ARDMS Registration
- Recent work within a Maternal Fetal Ultrasound department.